• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you do with quotes?

Shai

Most (good) books have at least one good quote that you would love to remember.

I find that mostly, I just reread the admired line or paragraph, and then just move one, most probably having forgotton it by the book's end.

Occasionally I manage to coerce myself into writing the line down on some paper, however this seems to invevitably be scrap paper that is eventually... scrapped.

Is there anyone out there who's managed something better :(

Shai said:
I find that mostly, I just reread the admired line or paragraph, and then just move one, most probably having forgotton it by the book's end.

Occasionally I manage to coerce myself into writing the line down on some paper, however this seems to invevitably be scrap paper that is eventually... scrapped.

Is there anyone out there who's managed something better :(

The only thing I do different is write the quote into a post-it app I have on the PC so it isn't so easily lost. But that's only once I've convinced myself to do this. I should do it more often, it's a good idea.

I don't collect quotes, but I do collect malapropisms (aka Berra-isms or Slip Mahoneys).

I just write them into a file. They make me laugh.

This is the traditional use for the commonplace book. I keep one and I love it. It's a great habit to get into.

Mari said:
This is the traditional use for the commonplace book. I keep one and I love it. It's a great habit to get into.
I've been considering that for a long time - but how do you keep yourself from going over the top?

I like to write all over my books, highlight quotes and post my own thoughts. It helps me put my own thoughts together.

I write down quotes on whatever is handy and then typically don't find them again until years later. :)

i write them in my diary (journal) and then usually remember them and end up re writing them all over my school sheets until the page is totally grafitted and the teacher makes me get a new one. lol

i always have to remember amazing quotes. HAVE TO.

lani

i have a couple of quote journals. i will write down anything, billboards, entire songs, quotes from movies and books, commercials, i have the entire soliloquy from chasing amy in my book and here .
often i will keep quotes as they remind me of a certain time or a person, and i like to "give" them to people, in cards or letters, so that when they read them or hear them, they in turn will think of me.

I'm to messy to keep quotes. I write them down sometimes, though, but whatever I wrote them on always disappears in some mystic manner. But I do scribble a lot in the books, and line under sentences words that I find particularly beautiful. I have always loved the world "peculiar", and I found that Edgar Allan Poe, whom I also love, used the word quite a lot in some of his stories. It could be because I automatically noticed that word in particular, though, either way I started making pencil lines under it and it eventually I gave up because there were too many peculiars.

I usually think to myself "Thats a good quote, i gotta remember that" and then i forget it after a few days.

I have a quote journal that I use for quotes from books. I've never gotten around to collecting them from other places, though I do write down funny quotes from my professors in the margins my class notebook.

i find little bits of paper all over the place with quotes on them. in bags, jackets, drawers. i hate when one gets washed and i lose it; i'm pulling apart the paper trying to decipher any of the words.
some authors i find i want to quote continually as i read so i often will just mark the book with little * as i go. my tom robbins books are highly astericked.

i highlight in my book.

i dont just highlight great lines but i even highlight very creative sentences or phrases. i like to highlight styles of writing as well.

Back