• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you look for in a book?

Inkheart

When you're reading, do you look for a good plot? strong characters?
a new outlook on life? style? theme? a twist? escapism?

Or do you just want to be entertained?

Inkheart said:
When you're reading, do you look for a good plot? strong characters?
a new outlook on life? style? theme? a twist? escapism?

Or do you just want to be entertained?

I enjoy a book with all of those qualities but the one that does it for me is character development. I love finishing a book and actually knowing the character and feeling what they feel. Great feeling. :)

samh5 said:
I enjoy a book with all of those qualities but the one that does it for me is character development. I love finishing a book and actually knowing the character and feeling what they feel. Great feeling. :)

must agree with you there. its amazing when you shut a book and feel as though you've just lived that person's life. :)

Basically all the things you mentioned! :D

But if I'm searching for just something new to read and have no idea what I want, the cover and title has to grab me from the get go for me to even pick up the book.

I agree with the above.
An ideal book has a plot so gripping you can't put it down, has a lot of deep and meaningful issues, has humourous dialogue (ideal for quoting), believable characters, takes you somewhere else so that he forget who or where you are, is realistic relevant... and ultimately enjoyable.

I don't ask for much, do I?

I look for gripping beginnings, masterful developments and unsettling ends. Sadly, there're few that meet those criteria.

Back