• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

what do you recommend??

crushproof

hello all...i found this place by accident on my search engine,well what books would you guys recommend for me? i liked ender's game,dead until dark,armour,and embarrasingly i like the harry potter series,basically i wanna book where the main character is sweated by all the girls, he's special by something that seperates him/her from the rest.

Hey..there's nothing wrong with HP :) I like the books even though I'm 20. Hmmm..lets see I just read a Dean Koontz book Velocity, I thought that was pretty good. :)

that's coo nj.i'll browse around my borders checking out velocity :) ,on a sidenote only a month and some change for the new hp book!! :p

crushproof said:
hello all...i found this place by accident on my search engine,well what books would you guys recommend for me? i liked ender's game,dead until dark,armour,and embarrasingly i like the harry potter series,basically i wanna book where the main character is sweated by all the girls, he's special by something that seperates him/her from the rest.

Welcome :) You found a good one here :)

Ok, I got some for ya. I love HP too, and Ender's Game is one of my favorite science fiction novels ever.

Try Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. One guy feels like he's different in a world of genetically engineered, mass-produced human beings.

The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay is also great. It's about a kid in South Africa who grows up in really troubled times and things are really rough for him at school, but as he grows up he finds ways to rise above it. It also has a sequel, just as good, called Tandia.

Another classic is 1984 by George Orwell. It's a little like Brave New World, except the setting is different because the main character is a budding political dissenter in a nightmare Communist dictatorship of the future, where everyone's actions and even thoughts are closely monitored.

Let me know if you don't like these or need more.

I haven't read 'Ender's Game' yet but I've got the impression that it deals with military strategy, 'Starship Troopers' by Robert A. Heinlein has that as well as political philosophy.

Along the Harry Potter fantasy genre I would recommend 'His Dark Materials' trilogy by Philip Pullman, religion is a heavy topic in that.

Wolhay said:
I haven't read 'Ender's Game' yet but I've got the impression that it deals with military strategy, 'Starship Troopers' by Robert A. Heinlein has that as well as political philosophy.

Along the Harry Potter fantasy genre I would recommend 'His Dark Materials' trilogy by Philip Pullman, religion is a heavy topic in that.

oh yes,do yourself a favor and check ender's game out,ender is a total badass,just give him a squadron of men and a couple of ships and he'll take out anybody....it's really good, i like how in the beginning everyone thought he was just some punk scrub and towards the middle you see everyone's opinion change and start worshipping him,crying over him

Wolhay said:
I really dug this series. I thought it was really well done. I just devoured all three - definitely a good read.

Does anyone else notice that when most people admit to reading Harry Potter, they always apologize for it in the same breath? What is that about? I don't think anyone should ever be ashamed for reading anything. Even dime store romances. Well, maybe some dime store romances! :p Joking, joking.

sugarz said:
Does anyone else notice that when most people admit to reading Harry Potter, they always apologize for it in the same breath? What is that about? I don't think anyone should ever be ashamed for reading anything. Even dime store romances. Well, maybe some dime store romances! :p Joking, joking.

I never apologize for anything I enjoy reading, including Harry Potter. I'm not one of those folks who thinks everything I read needs to have longstanding literary value.

Along the distopian literature line that this thread seems to be traveling, try Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Phillip K Dick. I read it for a college class and really enjoyed it. The book is far better than Bladerunner, the movie based on it.

yea...it's pretty bad for me,i'm lost to the dark side.i am the very essence of undercover fan lol :p bought the hp books on the internet,and put all black book covers over all of them so you can't tell what it is..... ;) and please no trying to bring me over,i am quite happy with my paranoid self :cool:

crushproof said:
oh yes,do yourself a favor and check ender's game out,ender is a total badass,just give him a squadron of men and a couple of ships and he'll take out anybody....it's really good, i like how in the beginning everyone thought he was just some punk scrub and towards the middle you see everyone's opinion change and start worshipping him,crying over him
Will do. I'll just have to make an effort to borrow all the four books in the series from the libraries at the same time so that I'm not left wondering what happened in the next books in case they're borrowed by someone else.

Have you tried the next series 'Ender's Shadow'?

Back