• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you think about "fifty Shades of Gray"?

¿Do you like this book?

• Total voters
Bad writing. Over the top, to the point of ridiculous, accomplished male protagonist. Bella, a few years older, in the female leado. (I believe the author admitted being "inspired" by the Twilight series. Explains a lot.
No. Not my kind of book.

However, not surprised at the success.

We have Hollywood superstars who cannot act.
We have famous concert performers who can barely sing.

You don't always need talent to find fame and fortune. Just good timing, good connections, and/or good luck and someone who knows how to market you in a way that makes you both rich.

I believe it was Bonaparte that said "I do not want a good General, I want a lucky one"

It was some 18th or 19th century military commander, anyway. It does ring true to my ear as being in the right place and time with an adequate skillset seems to happen more often than having a truly gifted individual make good on their potential.

I take it that the book in question was poorly written. That should be no surprise as far as my personal opinion goes. I see the popularity of Eastenders and Casualty and see that poorly written does not seem to deter the general public from finding it acceptable. Itis not confined to England neither, America has the 'X Factor'.
It is up to we forum members to choose for ourselves what to like and not be indoctrinated by others. Any book with a spelling mistake in the title sets it's stall to dumb down does it not?

... . Any book with a spelling mistake in the title sets it's stall to dumb down does it not?

The book's correct title is "Fifty Shades of Grey".

Whoever started this thread used "gray".

While, from what I understand, "grey" is the correct spelling in UK English; both "gray" and "grey" are used in the US.

Regardless, poorly written book in my opinion.

The poor writing is nowhere near the biggest problem with this book.
I bought this book expecting erotica; the sex scenes put me to sleep. Literally. Multiple times. Not once was I turned on by any of it - it just really wasn't that exciting. My sex life is far more exciting - but then again, that's just one woman's opinion.
No, the real problem with this book is the sheer CREEPINESS of the relationship between the two main characters. Now, I am no stranger to BDSM, but what's depicted there? Not a healthy relationship. Why? For the simple reason that nothing in that book is done consensually - the only consensual part of this entire relationship is the sex. Everything else? Some guy with more money than sense manipulating a naive young girl. She makes it clear on multiple occasions that she's uncomfortable with it, unhappy, angry even. He keeps going.
Now, I understand this is effectively merely one woman's fantasy put into writing. And that's okay. What's unacceptable isn't the content so much as how it is marketed. It is marketed as a 'romance novel'. As the 'romantic story of a budding relationship'. It isn't. It is the story of a pretty abusive relationship, and the target audience is women mature enough to understand that this is merely a fantasy to be enjoyed at face value, not something to aspire to. And that's okay. But for the sake of naive younger men and women, it needs to be recognised and marketed as such.

Back