• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you think of this

Oyabun

Chapter one? Be Brutal!

Nichole sat staring at her table, the same table she stared at every Friday for the past five years. Ever since she was a sophomore in high school she visited this bar, drinking then to be a rebel, drinking now to remember then. She was happy then, her friends came with her to drink at that table. Now, their memories brought the bitter world of isolation crashing down around her. Still, she drank. She lit a cigarette and sighed. Today was tough, her best friend was getting married and when she shared the news with her mother she was forced to endure another conversation about her success in life. Her friends had all gone off to better things; they all went to make something of themselves. She was scared; even at the young age of twenty-one she feared that her beauty would begin to fade. With her finger, she traced a name carved into the table, the name of her high school sweetheart. He had gone off to better things; better schools, better women. She sighed again and spoke to herself, something she often did in her solitude. “I am alone.” She hated the idea.

She glanced up from her table and saw a stranger enter the bar. The entire bar took notice of him, this was a small town. A few seconds later the barflies went back to their drink and the workers back to their work. This was a privet town. She continued to watch him. The look on his face and the gray hairs on his head belied his youth. If she had to guess, he was in his late twenties. She watched him walk over to the corner table, opposite her own corner. “As far way from everyone as possible” she mused. She watched him light a cigar and pull a book out from under his jacket. He clearly wanted to be left alone.

Nichole had consumed just enough liquor that evening to feel comfortable talking to a stranger. At any rate, she wasn’t comfortable with her recent revelation of solitude and wasn’t the type to wallow in misery. She felt herself stand up and walk over to his table. “Notes from the underground” she said to him “one of my favorite authors” she smiled. He looked up from the table to examine his present nuisance then turned back to his book. When his head turned, she expected a smile but found none. “I am getting nowhere” she thought “he clearly wants to be left alone.” She was shocked to find herself sliding into the booth across from him. “This is all the fault of that damn liquor!”
She saw him glance up at her. “Was that out loud?” she thought. She placed her hand over her lips and stared at his cigar. Finally, in a low voice, he spoke. “Do I know you?” He asked in a tone harsher than he meant. “Um . . . no” She said glancing around “but we have a mutual friend.” “Damn! He hasn’t even glanced up from his book.” This time she was sure she was not speaking aloud. “A mutual friend’ Hmm? Who might that be?” She lit another cigarette, smiled and said “Nicotine.” Though his face was still in his book, she saw a smile begin to form at the edge of his mouth, but like a vapor, it was gone. “Nicotine is not my friend” he said. “Then why do you smoke?” She asked. She had him now, trapped in a conversation. “I only smoke one cigar, on this one day” “Why is that?” He closed his book and looked up at her “Because today . . . Is a red letter day”

Pretty interesting. Although myself I'm not a critic and not much a writer, but I consider your writting is really good. The story line is developing in a nice way and the characters are interesting. Plus I see a meaning in the story.

Oyabun said:
Be Brutal!
There seems to be much she said / she saw / she felt / she sat / she stared / she sighed / she glanced / they were / they had / this was / that was / she went / she was..., etc. throughout this first chapter.

In fact, within these 618 words, you used the following numbers of each:

38 - she
27 - her, or herself
17 - was
05 - had
05 - now
05 - then

While these words are fine to use, note that roughly 20-25% of your narrative is composed of these kinds of words (and I only chose 6 to point out in the instances above). "She" is used more than any other word (38 times) while her name, Nichole, is only used twice.

Try to avoid the following types of sentence structure:

drinking then to be a rebel, drinking now to remember then. She was happy then...
Notice you used "then" three times in a row there?

The entire bar took notice of him, this was a small town.
Separate clause either using a semicolon, or a period... never a comma.

She saw him glance up at her. “Was that out loud?” she thought. She placed her hand over her lips and stared at his cigar. Finally, in a low voice, he spoke. “Do I know you?” He asked in a tone harsher than he meant. “Um . . . no” She said glancing around “but we have a mutual friend.” “Damn! He hasn’t even glanced up from his book.” This time she was sure she was not speaking aloud. “A mutual friend’ Hmm? Who might that be?” She lit another cigarette, smiled and said “Nicotine.” Though his face was still in his book, she saw a smile begin to form at the edge of his mouth, but like a vapor, it was gone. “Nicotine is not my friend” he said. “Then why do you smoke?” She asked. She had him now, trapped in a conversation. “I only smoke one cigar, on this one day” “Why is that?” He closed his book and looked up at her “Because today . . . Is a red letter day”
Break up your dialogue to help clarify whom is speaking, fix related dialogue punctuation, and avoid some of the items I've bolded, as such:

She saw him glance up at her. Was that out loud? she wondered [I would suggest italics instead of quotes for internal dialogue to avoid confusion ]. She placed her hand over her lips and stared at his cigar.

“Do I know you?” he asked, in a tone harsher than he meant.

“Um . . . no,” she said, glancing around, “but we have a mutual friend.”

Damn! He hasn’t even glanced up from his book. This time she was sure she was not speaking aloud.

“A mutual friend? Who might that be?”

She lit another cigarette and smiled. “Nicotine.”

Though his face was still in his book, she saw a smile begin to form at the edge of his mouth, but like a vapor, it was gone. “Nicotine is not my friend,” he said.

“Then why do you smoke?” She had him now, trapped in a conversation.

“I only smoke one cigar, on this one day.”

“Why is that?”

He closed his book and looked up at her. “Because today is a red letter day.”

You said to be brutal. I hope this helps.

That does help! The first Quote you cited was . . . err "Literary technique"
Then Is sort of there to establish regret or depression. I like it, I won't change it. I took the rest of you critique to heart and will compose a new draft. Though I do worry that removing some of the "Said" lines will result in unreadable dialogue (I like Dostoyevsky but sometimes his conversations are confusing. Two or three quotes at a time each from a different character. I fear a lack of context will discourage a reader.)
Also consider that the character "Nichole" Talks to herself, to other people and thinks to herself. You see how that can be confusing?
Anyway thanks. This really is a big help

Back