• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What Does Research Say About Reading?

Halcyon

I came across a fascinating study by R.A. Knuth and B.F. Jones (Published 1991) which gave me some profound insights. The link above provides the whole article, but the sections: Important Findings from Cognitive Sciences and Characteristics of Poor/Successful Readers are what really impressed me.

Most of the knowledge base on this topic comes from studies of good and poor readers. However, some of it is derived from research on expert teachers and from training studies.

1. Meaning is not in the words on the page. The reader constructs meaning by making inferences and interpretations.

2. Reading researchers believe that information is stored in long-term memory in organized "knowledge structures." The essence of learning is linking new information to prior knowledge about the topic, the text structure or genre, and strategies for learning.

3. How well a reader constructs meaning depends in part on metacognition, the reader's ability to think about and control the learning process (i.e., to plan, monitor comprehension, and revise the use of strategies and comprehension); and attribution, beliefs about the relationship among performance, effort, and responsibility.

4. Reading and writing are integrally related. That is, reading and writing have many characteristics in common. Also, readers increase their comprehension by writing, and reading about the topic improves writing performance.

5. Collaborative learning is a powerful approach for teaching and learning. The goal of collaborative learning is to establish a community of learners in which students are able to generate questions and discuss ideas freely with the teacher and each other. Students often engage in teaching roles to help other students learn and to take responsibility for learning. This approach involves new roles for teachers.

This article talks about the qualities of good and poor readers. If you get a chance, I strongly recommend reading this. It helped me understand my level of reading and how to get better.

this sound really cool, but one thing i don't understand! when i read a book and i find something interesting or i don't understand something, i should look it up, right? and then build my own opinion and discuss it with other people? right?? what do i missed?
i have the feeling in this text is more than just that!!
help me please

honeydevil said:
this sound really cool, but one thing i don't understand... help me please
To me, this article doesn’t seem specific enough to answer your double question mark question. Nor is it specific enough to answer what you missed by doing that. I found it a very informative study categorized by:

Old and New Definitions of Reading
Important Findings from Cognitive Sciences
Characteristics of Poor/Successful Readers
Important Trends in Reading Instruction
Milestones in Reading Research
Issues of Equity and Excellence
The Social Organization of the School

Then it goes into something I didn’t care much about:

Activities for Teachers
Activities for Schools, Parents, and Community Members

And finishes with a checklist for excellence in reading instruction, important reading resources, and glossary/references. Whenever I read something like this I’m usually hungry for information so I tend to read it all, but if you’re just curious than only read what interests you.

that brings me to another question, do you look things up when you read?? or you just read it and take it for what it is, a part of the story!!
i don't know, something like historical facts??

Back