• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What I want in an E-reader

I had a ghastly vision the other evening, as I looked up from my Kindle Fire and at my beautiful walls of books surrounding me. I could see the rows upon rows of books and shelves all gradually dissolving and sliding down the walls to the floor, where they evaporated into thin air in faint wisps, rather like a scene from the movie Inception. I was left sitting in a room with totally bare walls and not a book in sight. I snapped back to reality and looked down again at my Kindle. It is vivid red and may be the Devil incarnate.

Anyone else have nightmares inspired by this toy of the future?

Last edited:
nope I have to say it has been the most wonderful thing I have spent money on. I absolutely love the world of books it has opened up. I have very restricted space at the moment and had read every thing I want to read at the very small local library. There is no way I would even have as many as 100 real books (just literally no space) but I have 2000 + books on my reader and it is just wonderful beyond words.

The OP and I are of the same mind; if I had to choose between my ereader and my smartphone, I would be stumped.

When the tablet display can match the readability of an e-ink device - from full sun to total darkness - then I will have only one. Before that happens, the technology will change entirely so it won't be an issue anyway.

Smartphones

I find my smartphone is a wee bit small for e-comics so I finally might have a reason for buying a tablet.

I agree. Surprisingly, I have found that comics work well on my Kindle paper white. They are in black and white, though, so better on a tablet, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I do not own anything other than paper books. If I got an electric one, it would have to 'feel' like paper and 'smell' like paper. Otherwise it is an electric toy, not a book.
In my personal opinion, I hasten to add.

I love my reader! I have over 2,300 books on it and the number is growing at an alarming rate, and unless I buy a castle at some point I will never have room to have all those books in paperback form. But there they are, all neatly stored on a light wonderful device! This is not to say that I do not love "real" books or there smell, but...

I do not own anything other than paper books. If I got an electric one, it would have to 'feel' like paper and 'smell' like paper. Otherwise it is an electric toy, not a book.
In my personal opinion, I hasten to add.

You are off course entitled to your opinion and I also love books, however for me the physical object holds no magic, that is in the words for what value is a blank book without words? You don't fill your shelves with empty books just to feel and smell and say 'oh this one smells so much more interesting than that one'. No, we fill our shelves with books with words to read. So you might have some highly non-environmentally friendly relationship with paper, but ultimately its the words that fascinate, intrigue and give pleasure, not the paper.

"You don't fill your shelves with empty books just to feel and smell and say 'oh this one smells so much more interesting than that one''.

Do you know me personally, how can yo tell me what I do???

I love my reader! I have over 2,300 books on it and the number is growing at an alarming rate, and unless I buy a castle at some point I will never have room to have all those books in paperback form. But there they are, all neatly stored on a light wonderful device! This is not to say that I do not love "real" books or there smell, but...

I do not have anywhere near that many, but what I can say is that I have read every one, some more than once.

I do not have anywhere near that many, but what I can say is that I have read every one, some more than once.

I hope that you are not implying that I collect books but do not read them? If so I would have you know that I have read at least half of all the books I currently have and many of them I have read more than once.

"You don't fill your shelves with empty books just to feel and smell and say 'oh this one smells so much more interesting than that one''.

Do you know me personally, how can yo tell me what I do???

English lacks the distinction between you (sing) and you (plural) in this instance I meant a generic collective 'you'. If you want books to sniff and not read be my guest. I prefer however to read them.

Well just because I have a wide interest in books and enjoy reading as many books from as many genres as possible, does not mean I was agreeing with you nor does it mean that I am less of a reader than you.

English lacks the distinction between you (sing) and you (plural) in this instance I meant a generic collective 'you'. If you want books to sniff and not read be my guest. I prefer however to read them.

I do not believe I said I want to sniff and not read? What I said was 'If I got an electric one, it would have to 'feel' like paper and 'smell' like paper. Otherwise it is an electric toy, not a book.'

I added it was my personal opinon.

I do read all books I buy and have a tactile and olfactory sensation whilst doing so, something which electric toys cannot achieve. That is not an opinon, with the technology at it's current level, it is in point of fact, reality.
Having said that if other electric toy readers wish to ignore reality and imagine that they do, then they have more imagination than me and good luck to them.

I had a ghastly vision the other evening, as I looked up from my Kindle Fire and at my beautiful walls of books surrounding me. I could see the rows upon rows of books and shelves all gradually dissolving and sliding down the walls to the floor, where they evaporated into thin air in faint wisps, rather like a scene from the movie Inception. I was left sitting in a room with totally bare walls and not a book in sight. I snapped back to reality and looked down again at my Kindle. It is vivid red and may be the Devil incarnate.

Anyone else have nightmares inspired by this toy of the future?

It is another case of 'progress' whether we want it or not.
I have the same sort of nightmare regarding LP vinyl records.
Regarding your nightmare, I see it more as a scene from Farenheit 451!

Merged Posts. Please note that if you want to reply to more than one post you can click on the +quote button next to the reply button OR you can reply to one, and before you post , click reply to a second post and you can type a second reply. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back