• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What is the longest book/work you've ever read?

Definitely American Aurora by Richard Rosenfeld at 1012 long pages with small type. Fascinating stuff, though. The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer stands at a close second. How did I make it through those long long books?

Mine would be The Lord of the Rings as well I think - without appendices and things, my copy has 1010 pages if I remember rightly!

I love long books. If it's a good story, the longer the better.

Not sure which of these is the longest, it depends on the version.

Count of Monte Cristo
The Stand
Atlas Shrugged
Battlefield Earth

Those just happen to be my four favorite books.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 870 pgs. - J. K. Rowling
A Game of Thrones 864 Pgs. - George R. R. Martin
Sword of Shannara 736 Pgs. - Terry Brooks
I've read the Lord of the Rings trilogy but i consider those 3 books. I think they equal a little over 1000 pages.

A Game of Thrones would probably be shorter than A Storm of Swords. That was long, but the pages flew by quickly.

My longest would probably be LOTR, and the complete first trilogy of Thomas Covenant, both of which I have in a single huge volume. Strange one, that Thomas Covenant, because it wasn't until I finished that I realized that I didn't really enjoy the book all that much. Was bloody responsible for me cramming for my final project at university too!

ds

I'm responding to this thread because I'm currently reading Vikram Seth's A Suitable Boy. I'm halfway through, reading it in hardcover, so as not to go blind, with the added bonus of working on my abs during my nightly reading session. My reference librarian warned me of the size as we discussed his work, but I decided to check it out anyway. I look forward to the nightly session with this book, because I want to find out what happens to all these people, though, not compelled to read to excess as with some others. The writing is engaging and full of idiosyncratic "phraseology," to quote Mayor Shin of The Music Man.

Oh, a book in volumes surely can't count, can it? I thought we were talking about heft. Otherwise, anybody read Virgil?

I think this topic is not really honest in one way i mean if you read a book who have the same size as a newspaper but only 200 pages, is not that equal to have read a book small as your hand and have 800 pages?
and the size of the text also matters in this case?

I've started In Search of Lost Time by Proust but will probably not finish it til later this year. From what I've heard, its the longest ever. Other than that, I'd say the longest I've read would be Lord of the Rings or Ulysses.

The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon in mass market paperback: 1443 pages. It's the 5th book in her Outlander series and the rest of them are nearly as long. I love them though!

i think it would be don quixote for me. great read though.

and yeah george rr martin's stuff is long also, though again, highly enjoyable.

those are the best reads actually: where the writing is so good that regardless of how long the book is you still wish there was more.

It by Stephen King. Longest book I've ever read to date. Hopefully I'll work on "The Stand" sometime soon.

In general I love long books

They say that nowadays most publishers stay away from long manuscripts (over 700 pages) which means there won´t be too many in the future.
My longest?
Don Quixote
War and Peace
Les Miserables
GWTW (my all time favorite)
The Quartet of the Raj by Paul Scott

malena2006 said:
They say that nowadays most publishers stay away from long manuscripts (over 700 pages) which means there won´t be too many in the future.
No wonder I haven't seen any really thick books out lately. I remember back in the days when a good book was atleast 600-800 pages long. Of course that was back then, now I can only go through the short and sweet ones.

I'm reading "Of Human Bondage" by W. Somerset Maugham at the moment. At exactly 700 pages, it's probably the longest book I've ever attempted.

Back