• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What is the longest book/work you've ever read?

Fantasy Moon said:
Gone With The Wind. My copy had 1, 037 pages. It might have competition with a leatherbound edition of Lord of the Rings when I first read it, but I don't remember how many pages that book had.

Same here, mine had 1067 pages. Now I'm working of Anna Karenina, but it has about 500 pages, it's not that long.

bluecaffeine said:
The Historian FEELS longer than books I've read with more pages. Heh.

Does that mean it's not a very engrossing read? I saw it in WHSmith today, and thought it looked interesting.

longest books

I'll have to agree with Tom that the longest on my list was Infinite Jest (by David Foster Wallace, who's making an appearance in my neck of the woods in April!). Infinite Jest definitely took the longest to read, because of all the end notes that one simply has to read as the novel unfolds. It was so engrossing that I read it again a year later.

Les Miserables probably ranks a second place (my wee sized copy has 1463 pages). Anna Karenina, Atlas Shrugged, and The Brothers Karamazov are also up there, too.

I love this thread:D It's reminding me of all the great books I haven't gotten around to, yet.

Tolstoi: War and Peace
Proust: La Recherche du temps perdu (if this counts as "one" book)
Sartre: L'etre et le néant

Greetings

Not counting anthologies and omnibuses, it is Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy, a very good book.

It is about terrorists who take out the Russia's major oil refinery, causing them to be behind in gas and the like by a lot. So they use maskirovka to trick NATO and other countries into thinking Russia is going passive, neutral, and bombs Kremlin to set-up the Germans, saying it was a german agent. So they start a war and nobody will help Germany because they think it is just a stupid conflict between the two countries.

Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor

all 976 pages of it...but so worth it!

Back