• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What My Father Said - I & II

leckert

What My Father Said - I

My father always said that I should think before I act. Not that anyone cared what my father said. Words are meaningless when they come slurred through a muck of sour sweat and Jim Beam.

I guess I should tell you my story. I never thought I would have a story to tell, and maybe I still don’t, but what I do have is time - some, anyway – and a pressure behind my breast bone that needs to be relieved. I’ll be turning in soon, and, after tomorrow, my voice will become a blipping tone in the murmur of rumor and urban legend, if it even makes it that far. More likely it will be talked about in the Logan Daily, and whispered about at the Church of the Nazarene for a week or two, and then forgotten. But, for the next few hours, my voice is all there is.

My Story

I stayed with my Aunt, mostly. My mom died giving birth to me. That’s a booster shot for a young ego, especially when your father screams it at you over the supper table - the words sting the face with the spittle of over-cooked pot roast from the rotten-gray teeth of a scrawny, bitter man. At ten, I discovered hatred when I saw it in the quivering, tear-welled face across the scars of the square wooden table in the dark light of a floor lamp – red in his eyes and greasy on his chin. His remaining strands of thin, long hair stuck gray to his sweat, and his mouth twitched with bits of meat and potato clinging to his bottom lip and unshaven face. As he cramped his gut and squeezed the fork in his hand and screamed at me, a strand of his hair fell into his eyes.

“YOU KILLED ‘ER! YOU KILLED ‘ER! YOU USELESS PIECE OF SHIT!” His exertion brought on a coughing fit.

As my father choked and wheezed for air, all I knew was crying. All I knew was my mother died, my father was dying, and it was my fault. I wished he would quit coughing. My face burned and my stomach hurt and I wanted to be somewhere else. I wanted to be some one else. If he didn’t quit coughing, the ambulance would come and I wouldn’t get to see him any more.

“STOPIT!” I screamed through a mouthful of food that had gone rotten, and snotty tears.

“STOPIT, DADDY! STOPIT!” I screamed at him.

He stopped. He bounced his fork off of the table, and upset his chair as he stood. The square bottle with the white and black label didn’t upset though, until it was in his mouth. He drank, and cried, and smoked, and watched Baretta. I wiped from my face the food he had spit at me and I went to bed. I hugged my knees to my chest wishing sleep would come hold me; wishing mama would come hold me; wishing I could hug my father; and wishing I could bash his balding head in with the square corner of the Jim Beam bottle he caressed.

I lay there for a few hours, smelling Pall Mall’s and bourbon, until I heard his unconscious snoring. I dressed, packed some clothes, and left the three-room, government subsidized apartment with our uneaten dinner still on the table, hardening and crusty in the dark. The roaches would eat well tonight. The door ca-lunked closed behind me. I stood in the foyer with tears stinging my nose again. I stood there and loved my father. I locked the door with the key from around my neck, and walked the four miles to Aunt Maybe’s house. I don’t remember what time it was, but all the lights were out. I slept in the green aluminum glider on the front porch in the cooling night of September Ohio.

That was when I started living with my Aunt, mostly. She was my mother’s sister, and everyone told me she looked just like her.
Aunt Mabeline. I had called her Aunt Maybe since I started learning to talk, or so she told me. She lived with us for a while after her sister died, and before my father kicked her out.

I realize now that my father had always been a homeless man, just looking for a refrigerator box and a bridge to live under. Once I left, he found his niche. By the time I turned twelve his visits had stopped, and I had begun to hear the stories about him: He started showing up at work late and drunk and lost his job at the “Bent Bolt” plant; He had started spending his days sitting in the alleyway behind Risch’s drugstore, drunk and foul, begging for money, and shouting advice at whomever had the misfortune of making eye contact with him.
“Think before you act!” was one of his favorites. His welfare check paid the rent for a while, but he sat in the dark most nights. I think Aunt Maybe was giving him money, and paying some of his bills for him, but she wouldn’t talk to me about it. My aunt sewed and played the accordion instead of talking. Sometimes, while Aunt Maybe stroked “Tennessee Waltz” into the antique wood of her two-story house, I would sit at the window, breathing in the slight must of age, and crying the acrid tears of alone. Her playing, and my crying, were the closest we came to a meaningful conversation, Aunt Maybe and I, but she loved me. At least she loved on me; stroking my arm as I passed, hugging me to her if we met in the hallway. I think “pitied” was more accurate than loved: a pity that I grew to resent.

I was too ashamed to talk to her. It ached in my bowels to think of my father, a man I loved, a man I idolized, a man I loathed, sitting hunkered in his reek; a bony, yellow-nailed hand held up to a stranger, hoping for enough to buy a bottle of Boone’s Farm and a pack of Pall Malls, telling these strangers how they should live. I was too ashamed to talk.

“Bum-boy” and “Food Stamp” were what the kids at school called me. I discovered how to fight in my second year of fifth grade. I was always bigger than most of the kids my age, and being now a year older than the rest of my class underlined my size. I moved to the sixth-grade trailers about the same time my father moved to the dumpster behind the drug store. I was nearly thirteen; nearly grown by elementary school standards, and didn’t have to fight much anymore.

Ronnie lived near the train tracks that went past the fairgrounds. He had a mini-bike and his mother was divorced, so we spent the summers together, sleeping on a tarp in his backyard when the stars were out. That summer, after sixth grade, he showed me the hunting knife his father had given him for his birthday. He wasn’t allowed to tell his mother about it, so he kept it in a shoebox inside the tire swing in their back yard.

“WHOA!” and “Wicked!” Were the only words I could think of.

Saplings and dead branches had dulled the blade, but the point was sharp, and the blade locked out so it wouldn’t fold up on your fingers.

My father started showing up at Aunt Maybe’s house that summer, waiting for me to come home. I don’t know how often he was there, but once or twice a week, when I actually did go home, he would be on the glider, resting his elbows on his knees, rubbing his hands together, waiting.

“Where ya’ been, boy?”

“Out.”

The key on the string around my neck had been replaced two or three years ago with one that fit Aunt Maybe’s door. I dug it out, concentrating on the glass panes in the oak.

“She trusts me” I told him.

“It ain’t right for a boy your age to be out running the streets at night!” He wasn’t scolding. He was hissing.

For an old drunkard, he was still pretty nimble on his feet, and before I could unlock the door, the glider was rocking a memory of him, and he was in my face. The stench of age and the cologne of bourbon made me miss my father. I could feel my tears pulling themselves out of me. I wanted to grab him around the neck and hug him – or choke him. This feeling left when his crooked finger hovered near the end of my nose. He whisper-yelled in my ear, clandestine, and a quiver clenched my back as the hairs danced on my neck. He stood the heel of his boot on the end of my toes, and used the painful pressure to punctuate his speech.

“Don’t you go thinking you’re too good for your old man, boy. You ain’t no better’n me. I throw’d this bitch outta our house ‘cause she kept a-lookin’ down on us. Don’t you go makin’ up to her like she was your mama or somethin’, boy. You better think before ye act.”

The back of his knuckled hand struck my eye. I could feel a fight swelling in my chest and I leaned forward. The old man’s eyes grew, almost imperceptibly, at this. He expected me to cower, or recoil, and was nervous that I didn’t. In his fear, he struck.

He grabbed my throat and squeezed until I could feel my pulse in my temples, pounding behind my eyes. I almost fell backwards with my foot under his, but he held me up. Blackness threatened my mind.

“DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME, BOY?” In my ear and cheek now, pressing his foot into mine.

Unable to speak, I nodded and averted my eyes from his. He tossed my neck out of his hand.

“Get out of my face.” He spat these words at me over his shoulder as he poked a cigarette in his mouth and left.

The rasping flick of his lighter and his face was orange in his cupped hands. I turned the key in the knob and left him in the darkness. I found my room upstairs and slept in my clothes. My breath hitched nervous as adrenaline kept me awake, reliving the last three minutes. Sometimes I would slap his finger out of my face, sometimes I would catch his hand as he tried to grab my throat. Best though, was he wasn’t there waiting for me. Ever.

What My Father Said - II

I told Aunt Maybe that I had been in a fight when she marveled at my black eye and the bruises at my neck.

“You boys are gonna kill each other.” She clucked her tongue and went back to her cross-stitching.

I told Ronnie what had happened, and we discussed how brave and strong we would be the next time we saw him. We lied to each other, and became heroes in our minds. We laughed at the creative vengeance we imagined as we lie on the blue plastic tarp in his back yard, watching midnight clouds scratch the amber disk of the Strawberry Moon.

After twelve summers in Logan, I kind of had the routine down. I would get up at six, ride my bike to the paper office on Main Street, deliver my route and meet Ronnie at the Pizza Palace at 10:00 for a soda and game of skeet shooting in the back room.

Mr. Bowersock didn’t start lunch until 11:30 during the week, but he let us in to dump our quarters in the skeet game and drink his sodas. He usually refilled them for free. The backroom was always dark, and Ronnie normally played a Tom Petty or Neil Young song on the jukebox. The red and blue disks of light would skim across the back wall, and we were getting better at picking them off.

This morning, though, there was a sign on the door.

“CLOSED FOR THE SUMMER”

Our cupped hands around our faces pressed to the glass revealed empty, dark benches, sawhorses, and thick dust on the floor.

Once we figured it out, we sat on the curb and spat between our legs, dangling sinews nearly to the ground before slurping them back up. We had no idea how those four words would change our lives.

We took Breman Road to the overpass at Route 33. We watched the cars under us, enjoying the unique perspective. Ronnie dangled a spit ball and let it fall. It splatted on the back of a red Chevy.

“Man, what if you jumped?” he asked. No question is rhetorical to a thirteen year-old.

“If you landed in the back of a truck full of leaves or somethin’, you’d prolly be okay.” This sounded reasonable to me, but, as I hocked back a wad of phlem and let it splatter on the windshield of a pickup truck, I knew it wouldn’t matter what you landed on. Jumping off of this overpass would be the last thing you remembered. The pickups brakelights came on, and we scattered.

We rode our bikes downtown, swerving the alleys behind the stores of front street, checking out the occasionally interesting trash dumpster for overlooked booty. The scratchy voice startled me as we passed the dumpster behind the drugstore.

“Think before ye act, boy!”

I was back on Aunt Maybe’s porch, being held by the throat with my toes breaking under a boot heel. I stopped my bike, and Ronnie u-turned to wait for me.

“Think before ye act, boy!” he admonished again.

“You useless piece of shit!” I spat his three-year old words back at him. He stood and came to me.

“Too good for your old man, ain’t ya’ boy? Too good to help me out any, ain’t ya’?”

I loved him.

“Nossir” I said, and trembled a little. I reached in my pocket and pulled out all I had. I gave the old man Twenty-two dollars, thirty-seven cents, and my last piece of Bazooka Joe. All of my paper route money for that week. More than he had given me in the last three years. More than he had held in the last three weeks.

He put the money, and the bubble gum, in his pocket and became humble.

“I’m sorry, boy” tears saturated his eyes, and he shook his head.

“I ain’t never meant to hurt ye, boy.”

He reached for me with his arms, and his eyes. I backed away from him and we rode off, Ronnie and I, leaving his shouts behind us, with the musty, sweet stench of the dumpsters.

Ronnie and I didn’t talk. We rode. We skidded into the Stop-n-Go to get a slushy. Ronnie handed me a ten and I took it. With our bikes leaned against the ice chest we sat in the grass with our backs on the brick side of the building. We sipped and smoked, and waited for the right time to talk.

“Don’t worry about the ten.” Ronnie offered

“Thanks” What else could I say? My father had made me dependent and owing to the only friend I had.

“Watcha wanna do?” I tried to put it behind us.
“Awn-no. Let’s go.”

We rode with one hand, holding our slushies in the other. Like the song says, “No Particular Place to Go”. We rode up the hill to the Junior High School, where we were supposed to be starting next year, on the High School campus. Being a seventh-grader on the High School campus intimidated us. We wouldn’t be the “big kids” anymore. We would still have our way around the seventh graders, though, and eighth-graders didn’t scare me, but Ronnie was smaller than I was, and a year younger.

“Still looks like a baby school, doesn’t it?” Ronnie threw a rock across the asphalt basketball court.

“I don’t know. It’s better than those shittin’ trailers” I said.

“Yeah, I guess”

We rode around the court and over to the cemetery. Cemetary hill in the winter was the closest thing we would ever get to a roller coaster. The street beside it was summer’s version. We topped the steep hill on Orchard street, and waited for a moment for any cars that may pull out from the side alleys between us and Church Street at the bottom.

“One – Two – THREE” we stood on our pedals together. Soon, we were rolling faster than we could pedal, so we layed our chests low and tried to keep as close to the parked cars as we could. The first one who hit their brakes was dubbed ‘chicken’. The winner likely ended up in the bushes on the other side of Church Street, assuming there weren’t any cars coming. There never were.

I looked at Ronnie. In our vicious pedaling at the top, apparently Ronnie’s chain had come off. I yelled at him to stop, pointing at his chain.

“CHICKEN!” he yelled back at me.

“Your chain is off!” I screamed at him to stop.

He looked down to see his chain dragging limp on the street between the sprockets.

With no brakes, his only hope was the bushes. He had made the landing before, but he usually skidded the back tire in the middle of Church Street. I braked my rear tire, skidding in the gravel at the mail box on the corner and stopped at the hydrant. Ronnie drug his canvas All-Stars scraping on the asphalt and gravel, and braced himself for the boxwood’s brittle limbs.

The Seventy-Four El Camino caught him before the boxwoods did.

Ronnie’s head broke the window on the driver’s side. His bike crumpled against the door, and under the rear tire. The car veered to the right - into a light pole with Ronnie’s body hanging surreal at its side. Blood began to wash the door.

“Think before you act, boy!” the words came back to me. My gut wrenched and my hands shook, nervous, scared, and crying, I walked a circle, hunching on the corner. I heard screaming and brakes. Rubber smoke was thick. I went to Ronnie through the blur of tears and incomprehensible dread. I pulled, but he wouldn’t come. Someone grabbed me from behind and got my elbow in their face. I pulled on Ronnie again. He was sand bag weight and sticky wet. He wouldn’t move from the window. A noise came from inside. Someone had opened the passenger door.

Confusion and spinning – nervous disbelief. Someone with a bloody nose grabbed me by the waist and drug me to the sidewalk. I rocked there on the curb with my thumbs in my shoes, waiting for Ronnie to join me.

Ronnie never joined me.

His mother screamed at me on her porch.

Aunt Maybe screamed at me in the house.

My father screamed at me in my head.

“THINK BEFORE YOU ACT, BOY!” they each said, more or less.

I never did start at Junior High that September. That will be my last summer in Logan, Ohio. In fact, that will be my last summer, ever.

I’ve spent most of my time since then in my room. Not crying or pawing old pictures of my best friend, like some panty waste. I’ve spent most of my time lying on my back, hating. I hated Ronnie for dying. I hated his mother for screaming at me. I hated my father for being right. I hated Aunt Maybe for her pity. Mostly, though, I think I hated me for letting it all happen.

“Think before you act, boy” my father’s words became my mantra.

Ronnie died three weeks ago. I’ve been as alone as I can remember. I sit in Ronnie’s back yard sometimes – smoking cigarettes and watching his mama cry through the window light from the blackness. I slept there one night, on his tarp, talking silently with him. I took his box out of the tire swing. It’s under my bed now. I think he would have wanted me to have it. I rode my bike downtown yesterday. My father was there again. This time he grabbed my bike and shook his finger in my face telling me what hell was like for murderers.

School is supposed to start tomorrow, but I won’t be going. “Bum-Boy” won’t be there. “Food Stamp” will be absent.

I spent the last hour sharpening Ronnie’s knife. They will find it in my father’s chest. Probably after they find my body on Route 33 at the Breman Road overpass. I’ve thought this one out pretty well. My father will be proud.

I’m going to get my final night’s sleep now. I can hear “Tennessee Waltz” creeping around the floorboards, and through the register vents.

I think my sleep will come easy tonight.

Thanks, Ell, for putting these together.

Newbie, here. Didn't (and still don't) know how to do that...

At least I know someone has seen my posts!

Ever read "Barn Burning" by Faulkner? Though the writing style is completely different, that's what I was reminded of--that and the books by S.E. Hinton.

Not bad though, I did read it to the end.

One thing I will say is that early on, you use a lot of adjectives. Adjectives are great--we all love them--but when you use too many of them, they substitute words for style. It's something I'm very guilty of, myself. If you could use stronger, more evocative (see, two adjectives, right there, and an adverb) nouns and verbs, then you'd discover you don't really need as many modifiers, because the nouns and verbs do it for you. I noticed it wasn't as much a problem near the end, though.

Adjectives are nice when used rarely; adverbs are nice when never used at all. I, too, suffer this problem.

Thanks, Acolyte. I will re-read. I thought I had my adjectives under control (stupid modifiers!).

I agree with you sirmyk... I greatly detest adverbs, and will dutifully review this story for any that can be ripped smartly from the page and burned pleasingly to a smoldering pile of ash.

:D

Love the comments. Be brutal, I can take it!

I just saw in the "posting guidelines" that I was rereading (yeah, that's it), that we, the posting authors, should let you, the hopeful readers, know if we want detailed critique, or if we are "just sharing".

I would like to take this opportunity to ask, nay, beg, for detailed critique. No one who knows anything has read this. (which means my entire family, and most of my friends have read it, but that's it!)

I would love the input of a well-read, educated, and intelligent group of fellow writers...

Please let me know if any of you are aware of such a group. :D

leckert said:
I would like to take this opportunity to ask, nay, beg, for detailed critique. No one who knows anything has read this. (which means my entire family, and most of my friends have read it, but that's it!)

I would love the input of a well-read, educated, and intelligent group of fellow writers...
I hope you don't mind, but I played around with the beginning of your story a bit. I feel it opens stronger without the introductory section, and is much more dramatic when introduced with the "mother died giving birth" spiel. I hope you don't mind my edits; let me know what you think, or if you want me to continue with my advice. Here's a little taste.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

I.

Mom died giving birth to me... now there's a booster shot for a young ego. Dad used to proclaim the idea over supper as overcooked pot roast and spittle flew from those gray-rotted teeth of his. He always said I should think before I act, yet I learned early on that words become meaningless once slurred through the sour muck of sweat and Jim Beam.

At ten I discovered hatred; across scars of an old wooden table and through the soft light of a floor lamp it was cast: a quivering, tear-welled face, red eyes, a greasy chin. The few remaining strands of long, straggly hair pressed flat against his skin, a few over his eyes. His mouth twitched with rage. Bits of meat and potato clung to his bottom lip and to his leathery, unshaven face. Squeezing a fork in his hand, he screamed these words to me: “You killed 'er! You killed 'er, you useless piece of shit!” This exertion brought on a coughing fit.

Hey, Sirmyk...

I'm digging it. I started it the way I did because the first sentence was a requirement for a writing contest that I actually never entered!

I do like the powerful, catch-you-off guard openings. I also think the way you have revised it makes it more personal. More from the narrator's mind. I wasn't crazy about the "...proclaim the idea..." bit, but this gives me another direction to think in.

THANKS!!!

(excuse me, now, while I search for an oven in which to place my useless head!) :)

I like this story. I noticed the Stephen King style particularly with Ronnie's death and the conclusion. Be conscious of your influences in your writing so that it does not become imitative.

Thanks for reading, Occlith.

I certainly do not want to imitate another author, and thought I was being conscious of that.

Do you think this close enough to his style to be imitative? or were you just advising me in general?

Back