• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What new stuff would you want from scifi/fantasy?

direstraits

I was thinking (rare occurrence) about all the books and elements I've enjoyed while reading scifi and fantasy all these years, and was wondering what I would very much like to see that isn't out there right now. Effectively, what story you'd like to see released that you'd buy in a heartbeat?

It could be a dream team collaboration between a couple of your favourite writers. It could be an idea for a story that hasn't been done before, or at least hasn't been done well before. It could be a wish that a particular writer write just once in a different genre from that he's normally known for. Or a graphic novelization of your favourite book. Or it could just be a long awaited return by a favourite writer that hasn't written in a while.

What is your wishlist for scifi/fantasy in the near future?

Mine is something I've mentioned in another post somewhere. The more I think about it the more I like it. I'd love for Guy Gavriel Kay to research on Chinese mythology and give it the Kay treatment. The novel would have to be a duology or trilogy, due to the sheer number of possible Chinese deities or heroes that he could source from. The Monkey God and the Journey to the West, or the 7 Deities across the river/sea, a treatmet for the Water Margin stories. Put in plenty of martial arts action too.

But being a Kay story, it will have a very balanced mix of action and characterization, with liberal doses of politics and even sex... ahem, love, but nothing approaching the promiscuity of Greek mythology, of course.

Gee, I'm excited already.

I've got another one, but let's hear it from you first.

ds

If you had just asked me, and not mentioned your idea, then I really wouldn't know what I seriously would like to see. The only thing that might come close is a novelization of Jon Anderson's concept album "Olias of Sunhillow". Not sure who would be best to write it. Would be part fantasy, part sci-fi. But it's not a dying need in my life. It is really more or less a joke between my wife, friends, and I.

But now that you mentioned your idea of Kay doing something of Chinese myth, well sign me up! That is a fantastic idea. Of course I would read a story by Kay about the duldrums of being an accountant. :)

If you just program your mind to see the word "accountant" everytime you see the word "lawyer", and "accounts" for "law", then your wish will be fulfilled in Kay's the Fionavar Tapestry! :D

Or maybe one of the heroes in a new fantasy book gets roped in do the expenses of a huge sprawling medieval castle.

A lot of the good fantasy books I've read do not have a good dose of magic. I'd like to see a huge epic of the scope and ability of A Song of Ice and Fire, but with emphasis on magic ala Earthsea. Now instead of just warriors and jousting and maces and swords, we have spellcraft. A Tyrion character who wields magic - ahh...

Is magic battles more difficult to write than your regular blood and guts war? Is it because it's hard to be excited about casting spells than swinging an axe to loop an enemy soldier's head off?

I didn't like Magician, and (sorry Halo! :)) didn't like Black Magician trilogy either, although there were plenty of magic.

ds

direstraits said:
I didn't like Magician, and (sorry Halo! :)) didn't like Black Magician trilogy either, although there were plenty of magic.

Pah! You are obviously a man of poor taste. :p :D

Whaa... didn't you receive your cheque, Halo? I sent a couple of hundred bucks asking you not to tell everyone of my poor taste! Waaaailll!

ds

I never received it, so I shall tell everyone. Of course, it is apparent anyway just by looking at your current outfit. :D

But being a Kay story, it will have a very balanced mix of action and characterization, with liberal doses of politics and even sex... ahem, love, but nothing approaching the promiscuity of Greek mythology, of course.

Made me laugh, ds!

:D

Back