• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What next to read in Sci-Fi?

reaperjim

I am a big lover of epic sci-fi / fantasy, and have been totally rapt by the likes of Greg Bear (Eon, Eternity) and Clive barker (Imajica, Weaveworld) and David Eddings. I am now reading Greg Bear's Darwin's Radio, and will then read it's sequel, but am in a bit of a dilemma as to what to read next. I love the hard science slant in DR (genetics, evolution) but I also like the epic factor like in Bear's Eon and Eternity. Does anyone know of any books that are epic and contain the hard science element, preferably books that are part of a series? Any help would be appreciated...

Alastair Reynolds has an excellent trilogy dealing with the Inhibator threat, plus one other book set in the same universe.
They are, in order, Revelation Space, Redemption Ark and Absolution Gap. Chasm City is the stand-alone. These definately fit the epic space opera bill and they generally stick to hard SF (apart from maybe some bits in Absolution Gap)

I've read all the books you listed except Eon and Eternity. I love sci-fi and post-apocalyptic. Weaveworld is one of my favorites :) Have you read Battlefield Earth? That's pretty thick, and a great read. No genetics or evolution (rather the opposite, really), and it's not part of a series (that I know of) but it's worth the read.

Larry Niven
1. The Legacy of Heorot (1987)
2. The Dragons of Heorot (1995)
3. Beowulf's Children (1995)

1. Ringworld (1970)
2. The Ringworld Engineers (1979)
3. The Ringworld Throne (1996)
4. Ringworld's Children (2004)

James P Hogan
1. Inherit the Stars (1977)
2. The Gentle Giants of Ganymede (1978)
3. Giants' Star (1981)

W. Michael Gear
1. Requiem for the Conqueror (1991)
2. Relic of Empire (1992)
3. Countermeasures (1993)

and my personal favorite....the epitome of the space opera:
Simon R Green
1. Deathstalker: Being the First Part of the Life and Times of Owen Deathstalker (1994)
1. The Man Who Had Everything (2002)
2. Deathstalker Rebellion: Being the Second Part of the Life and Times of Owen Deathstalker (1996)
2. Friends, Enemies and Allies (2002)
3. Deathstalker War (1997)
3. Under the Ashes, the City (2002)
4. Deathstalker Honour: Being the Fourth Part of the Life and Times of Owen Deathstalker (1998)
5. Deathstalker Destiny: Being the Fifth and Last Part of the Life and Times of Owen Deathstalker (1999)

reaperjim said:
I am now reading Greg Bear's Darwin's Radio, and will then read it's sequel,

Darwin's Radio. Is that the book about a new genus of Homo Sap. Sap. spontaneously appearing? If it is, I'd like to read a sequel - what's it called?

Cheers.

What did you think about Imajica? I loved Weaveworld and quite a bit of Imajica but felt it wandered on a bit too long. The Great and Secret Show was pretty good and original.

As to next books. I'm less of a fan of "hard" sci-fi, but check out the Dune series by Frank Herbert, pretty much anything of Iain M Banks's sci fi (the "Culture" novels provide a loosely connected series) and Dan Simmons' "Hyperion" series. All excellent reads.

Kev

Darwin's Radio sequel...

... is called Darwin's Children. I am getting towards the end of Darwin's Radio, and whilst it is a damn good read, I can feel that in focusing on America alone, Bear loses his grip a little towards the end. And although the science is fascinating, I feel Bear may be stretching some parts of evolutionary theory a little far. Still,this IS science FICTION.

Back