• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What should i be reading?

Drunkenmaster

It occurs to me having started uni recently, that a lot of people read a lot more books than me. Also from watching films, tv, reading biographies it seems so many people have read a lot of influential books, and not only have i not got them, i don't know what books they are.

So, what books should i be reading, what are all the great books people all read and learn from. What are the so called classic books i should have read by now, the War and Peace type books. Fiction but also other books, but the great thinkers aswell, on philosophy and other interesting reads. I'm the kind of person that needs a goal, a list to work from. Any and all help/ideas appreciated.

the similar threads link that i only just noticed helped me stumble onto http://www.literarycritic.com/fadiman2.htm the list in that link. Seems pretty good, just went round the house and rounded up everything considered a "classic", will make a choice from those but they are all fiction. Recommendations, maybe from that list , of the best non fictional books, I really think i want to read into the great thinkers of our time but i have no idea where to start what would make a reasonably light intro before i go into the hardcore books.

Using Fadiman's reading list is one way to start but, more importantly, I think you need to pick things that will sustain your interest. Otherwise it will become a big chore and you'll be turned off reading altogether.

Fadiman's lists are pretty heavy-duty if you've not done much reading. I'd advise you to pick and choose titles that sound interesting to you or that you've at least heard of. Once you get started and find something you like, it'll often pique your interest in something else by the same author, or in a related subject - and you should just go with it.

Guess what I'm trying to say is don't get yourself too hung up on completing somebody else's list of what to read. Use them more as a guideline rather than a must-do. Besides everyone has different ideas about what should be read. :)

At any rate, here's another link to a very good and interesting list: Life list

Another list that might interest you is randomhouse's 100 Best Novels list. But I agree with Ell though, lists should be approached as a sort of guide or FYI kinda thing. They're a good place to start from, and to explore / find out what you like and don't.

You might want to try Webrings as well, to find out what other people are reading. I'm sure if you google "webring+books" a few sites might come out... Or try this

I hope that helps and good luck!

I guess I kind of started with Magician by R.E. Fiest...and i got hookd up - now I ve got all his books
You might want to give it a try ...

Read things you enjoy, but don't confine yourself to just one genre. I've gotten many many good book recommendations from this forum. Poke around the threads and take note of the books everyone says they love. As far as the classics go, they can be kind of heavy, so mix it up with lighter more exciting reading. One of my favorite places to find new titles is to check out the New York Times bestseller lists (here ). You have to register to get more details and read excerpts, but it's free. The others gave great lists, too. Most of all, just read, read everything- current events, classics, gnere fiction, biographies, you name it.

My advice is not to be intimidated by people who have seemingly read a lot of literary works. I hate book snobs. In my opinion, reading should be something that you want to do, not something that you think you should do. I read books in a whole variety of genres, including some from the reading lists that previous people have posted. Some of these books have been very good but not really captured my attention. I always think that the best books are ones that you just can't put down, never mind whether they're considered 'classics' or not.

If you really want to read more, try some of the new bestsellers which interest you. You'll then be able to discuss all the current books which people are talking about.

If you haven't already read it, I would recommend The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown. I think its a great book. It actually taught me quite a bit about Leonardo DaVinci, the holy grail and other biblical things which it is based around. However, it is a contemporary thriller and a work of fiction, so it is not too heavy or boring. Plus, for some inexplicable reason, many people have strong feelings about this book and I find that a lot of people still talk about it.

KZC23 said:
My advice is not to be intimidated by people who have seemingly read a lot of literary works. I hate book snobs. In my opinion, reading should be something that you want to do, not something that you think you should do.

My feelings exactly! I know it's a bit facetious, but on reading your question "What should I be reading?", I would answer "anything you want to". Reading should be enjoyable, and certainly not a chore. You should not think that you have to wade through a list of "worthy" books in order for reading to be worthwhile. Just read whatever takes your fancy and have fun! :)

"1984" by George Orwell and "Fahrenheit 451" Ray Bradbury would make a good foundation of the dystopic genre. They're also heavily anchored in pop culture.

"A Clockwork Orange" is another classical read on a similar theme but you only have to have seen the movie to understand the most common words of the invented lingo.

A personal favourite of mine is "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert A. Heinlein which also is a science fiction classic. Like most of Heinlein's work it's more about the sociological than technology.

If you want a good introduction to philosophers I recommend "Sophie's World" by Jostein Gaardner which combines fiction and education.

Back