• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What's the deal with vampires anyway?

Meadow337

Former Moderator
Why is it romantic to have your blood sucked by a guy in a black coat who sleeps in a coffin and desperately needs a dentist?

I think the whole thing is analogous to romantic seduction. It's true that Dracula (as one example of a vampire) often TOOK what he wanted without preamble (rape) but there is also the element of free will (succumbing to seduction) attached to the vampire legend as it has evolved in contemporary literature and films. Personally, I think the whole romantic angle is dumb.

Perhaps it's because vampires are supposed to be insatiable lovers. Or it's the whole Twilight ridiculousness. He's dreamy, shy and beneath the murderous, blood sucker exterior, he's really angsty, brooding and will love only me
smiley-sick017.gif

Well if you think of the whole romance/vampire book theme as being eaten/wooed by a giant vampire bat (the only kind that I don't think is cute) or if they are having a bad day a rather large pile of dust, it makes you wonder why anyone would want to read romance books with vampires as it main characters.

I couldn't read all of twilight books.
I read the first and not even half of new moon and I was so bored.

I do like te films but I don't see why all these fan girls go crazy for it. I couldn't think of anything worse than having a vampire suck the life from me lol. Not attractive at all.

Never mind the blood sucking! Anne Rice's novels are definitely worthwhile stories of interesting vampires beyond the cliché -- Interview With The Vampire and The Vampire Lestat.
And there is always Buffy and her adventures stakin' the vamps. They never even get close.
Good stuff!

The only book about vampires, or that has vampires in it, that I am going to read is Carpe Jugulum :)

I'm a little confused by Buffy. I'm unsure why it's so popular, and loved even by people whose tastes I respect, and won't pick up 'fluff'. I suppose I should dive in and discover myself, but the idea of loving a teenager charged with protecting a city which is for some reason the focal point of demonic activity sounds too campy.

I have read Dracula, by Stoker. Because of the popculture I fully expected a shallow experience, and was completely blown away by how atmospheric and action packed it was, complete with fantastic characterization. I adored the book, that I think was achieved because I approached it with no expectations whatsoever.

Romantic vamps, however, I hesitate. After reading Dracula, I quote something I read online: "Real men don't sparkle."

I'm a little confused by Buffy. I'm unsure why it's so popular, and loved even by people whose tastes I respect, and won't pick up 'fluff'. I suppose I should dive in and discover myself, but the idea of loving a teenager charged with protecting a city which is for some reason the focal point of demonic activity sounds too campy.

I have read Dracula, by Stoker. Because of the popculture I fully expected a shallow experience, and was completely blown away by how atmospheric and action packed it was, complete with fantastic characterization. I adored the book, that I think was achieved because I approached it with no expectations whatsoever.

Romantic vamps, however, I hesitate. After reading Dracula, I quote something I read online: "Real men don't sparkle."

Buffy is a real get-up-and-go, let's do it, easy-to-understand kind of kid. Fluff and camp make the fun.

Re:Stoker's Dracula: right on! Good reading. Anne Rice has more like it.

Haven't read any romantic vamps, though. Not even real-women vamps. :D

In Ghat they believe in vampire watermelons, although folklore is silent about what they believe about vampire watermelons. Possibly they suck back.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum)

What do you think the spooky don't go/enter line would be though? Beware the watermelon patch? Or don't go into the garden at night? lol :p

Back