• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

When looks are more important that content

I quite like the idea of decorating with bookshelves and old books. In the right sort of room, book-lined walls give an atmosphere.

But, in my case, I will never get around to reading enough books to fill three/four walls of bookcases; so some books would be displayed just to pad the shelves. And I am not too convinced there is a difference between topping up the room with pretty Danish books bought by the foot that I am not going to read and topping up the library with books bought by volume (pardon the pun), that I am not going to read.

In fact, there is a degree of honesty about buying books en masse because of how the spines look in a book case.

I quite like the idea of decorating with bookshelves and old books. In the right sort of room, book-lined walls give an atmosphere.

Of course they do. I am sure the majority of people here would love to have a room dedicated to their library and have it decorated floor to ceiling with books and ephemera. I think the difference comes into whether you have, for lack of a better term, hand picked your books versus buying books in bulk sight unseen by the linear foot. I'd much prefer the former.

But, in my case, I will never get around to reading enough books to fill three/four walls of bookcases; so some books would be displayed just to pad the shelves. And I am not too convinced there is a difference between topping up the room with pretty Danish books bought by the foot that I am not going to read and topping up the library with books bought by volume (pardon the pun), that I am not going to read.

Point taken.

In fact, there is a degree of honesty about buying books en masse because of how the spines look in a book case.

Sure. You're being honest about caring about looks over substance.

I understand that books have a certain aesthetic appeal. But using books to create a pseudo-intellectual atmosphere would be pretty... lame. I could see using them on a movie set or something, or in a shop of some kind.

On the other hand, think of all the books you could chop the guts out of to hide stuff in...

Sure. You're being honest about caring about looks over substance.

Perhaps I was too oblique, I meant it was more honest to choose looks (which at least reflects taste) over whatever motive drives someone to display (in the hypotheical padded library) titles and authors that have been selected 'by hand' in the knowledge that they won't be read.

Perhaps I was too oblique, I meant it was more honest to choose looks (which at least reflects taste) over whatever motive drives someone to display (in the hypotheical padded library) titles and authors that have been selected 'by hand' in the knowledge that they won't be read.

Ah! I understand now. I like to think that every book I purchase will eventually be read.

I would love to have all of my books rebound to match. However, they would all be read at least once or I wouldn't bother spending the money. This site is just more proof that there are entirely too many people out there with more money than sense.

Can i just say that I lose faith in the world when books become a way of vaunting your 'intelligence'(because you thought to decorate with them) instead of being the carriers of wisdom?

Ok, that sounds overly flowery and melodramatic..but it's true.

I know how you feel. But you can always take comfort from the fact that, like all of us genuine readers with taste and distinction, you can enjoy the view from the 'high ground'!

I have too many real books to bother buying decorative ones.

I just realized that you should contact them to see if they have any leather bound Dumas in French. That would be pretty sweet and I could totally forgive you for buying them too.

I can see applications for this, but it's not for me. If I want leather bound books, then look for something in English from Easton.

You had to mention Easton! I am oh so very tempted to get an Easton copy of The Killing Star. Thanks for jogging that memory. I think.

Years ago I visited some huge English country house that had a fantastic looking library complete with those moveable step ladders and leather bound books galore. It was the best room ever, and made even better because I spotted a tatty paperback copy of Anne of Green Gables on one of the shelves.

Back