• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

When looks are more important that content

Years ago I visited some huge English country house that had a fantastic looking library complete with those moveable step ladders and leather bound books galore. It was the best room ever, and made even better because I spotted a tatty paperback copy of Anne of Green Gables on one of the shelves.

I want a library like that one day.

I would love to have all of my books rebound to match.
Only problem with that is how to spot a book you want to pull from the shelf? I'm not compulsive or organized enough to alphabetize my shelves, and only [try] to shelve books according to category/subject [more or less], I usually remember what a book looks like, so can scan fairly quickly to find whatever I'm looking for. That's if I've shelved it, otherwise it is in a stack.

pontalba said:
Only problem with that is how to spot a book you want to pull from the shelf? I'm not compulsive or organized enough to alphabetize my shelves
I wouldn't have any problem with finding what book I wanted. I am OCD about organization. Not only are all of my books, DVD's, CD's, etc. alphebetized, but my clothes are organized as well. They are sorted by clothing type then color. The same with my shoes. I think I may have a problem.

Personally - like others have mentioned - a bookshelf looks more like it's from a book nerd when it looks messy and eccentric and there are falling apart copies of War and Peace etc.

The website I think serves a better purpose for the movies it works with to provide set decoration, not for the everyday person. I mean, the whole leather bound book thing seems rather...stuffy to me.

savvyambrose said:
The website I think serves a better purpose for the movies it works with to provide set decoration
I agree. I used to see these all of the time when I was an interior decorator and visited furniture stores on a regular basis. They were used as props for room setups.

That's just sad. And the people who buy books from that place are just sad. Everyone's going to know that you're never going to read those books. I mean, how many houses do you go into that have shelves of nice, clean, leather-bound books over a mix of hardback and paperback, old and new books that look like they just got placed at random on the shelf?

(Although I have to admit that mine are all in pristine condition and in alphabetical order.)

Back