• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

When to give up on a book

Thank goodness somebody else agrees.

IMO, that book is vastly overrated. While I managed to finish it, I didn't think it was anything special. It's the reason I haven't read the second or third book.

For me, if it doesn't grab my attention half way through the book, then I'm finished with it.

I read those books in a few days. I can understand why they became so popular, but like most popular books nowdays - they are just easy to read. I can't say that they are a masterpiece. They were easy to read and get into (in my opinion) but I do not really think that criminal novels are good litterature. Just like Dan Brown's books... They are easy to read and follow, which I think made them into this big success, but they are not a book you read more than once, unless you are a big fans of criminal novels which I am not. Those are easy-reading to me.

i gave up reading the last few pages of The Black Prince by Iris Murdoch because i was shocked by the quirky climax. I thought Murdoch had pulled a meaningless stunt. However I realized the beauty of the book once I read the entire book a few months later.

You can read my comments on the book here:The Black Prince-Iris Murdoch

It's rare that I give up on a book. The only person I can remember repeatly giving up on is Anne Rice....I just experience my first interesting book but slow read. I do give up on book series. The Wheel of Time I had to just stop reading around book 6.

Im pretty critical... like with films, i give it the opening to catch my attention then i will give up. I know it sounds silly but if they have a good start then im hooked!

Back