• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

When you listen to a new CD,

sparkchaser

Administrator and Stuntman
Staff member
how many listens do you give it before you make the decision whether you like it or not?

For me, the magic number is three.

The first listen is almost never what I expect.

The second listen I use to expel any preconceived notions I had about the album.

The third listen I can enjoy the music and make a better determination if I like it or not.

Same here. When I go to concerts, its the same. So I need first to listen to a record a couple of time and then to go to a concert to fully appreciate the music.

I'm not sure how many listens it takes. Usually I listen straight through once and then a few songs stand out. Then I go back and listen to those songs again, and again, and again. Then I listen to the other songs again.

I've learned that if I am not liking a CD after three listens then I am not going to like it. Only rarely have I revisited it some time later (years typically) and liked it.

I'm not sure how many listens it takes. Usually I listen straight through once and then a few songs stand out. Then I go back and listen to those songs again, and again, and again. Then I listen to the other songs again.

you should be a basketball coach

Ha! I'd be an awful basketball coach. That's that game tall people play, right?

when I listen to a new cd, I like to get a nice glass of red wine, and curl up like a minx on a groovy bean bag chair, and put on some soft jazz. Then I light a few scented candles and say grace, and I'm ready to listen to some new music.

Some grab me straight away, others can take years. When I first heard Boys For Pele by Tori Amos, I absolutely hated it. :mad: I kept listening to it, hoping it would grow on me, and then one day as I was cleaning up, I just 'got it'. :)

try curling up on a bean bag chair, and putting on some soft jazz, and sipping some white...no red wine, it's gotta be red wine... and then put in your new cd, and listen to the grooves

Massively depends what I'm listening to.

For instance, if it's classical, then I usually have a very good idea what I'm buying and it's not much of an experiment. Some albums will be played more than others, but I can't think of any classical discs that I have that I don't like at all. It might, however, take longer to get into much more modern (avent-garde) music such as, say Stockhausen or Cage. That needs more time and I'd actually say more effort.

With rock and pop, things usually click with me or they don't. But even that's a generalisation. One of my long-term favourite albums is Divine Comedy's Fin de siècle, but that took a long time to really appreciate as much as I do now. And one changes with age – I loved Oasis initially and disliked Blur. I still like Oasis, but think Blur were actually better musicians and anyway, Pulp's Different Class was the best album of the entire Brit Pop thing.

On a wider scale, I love stuff from every decade from the 1960s on (I just about remember the end of the '60s). But I've realised in the last few years that 'my decade' really is the 1980s (or at least the first half of it), if I'm considering an entire block of music.

Massively depends what I'm listening to.

For instance, if it's classical, then I usually have a very good idea what I'm buying and it's not much of an experiment. Some albums will be played more than others, but I can't think of any classical discs that I have that I don't like at all. It might, however, take longer to get into much more modern (avent-garde) music such as, say Stockhausen or Cage. That needs more time and I'd actually say more effort.

With rock and pop, things usually click with me or they don't. But even that's a generalisation. One of my long-term favourite albums is Divine Comedy's Fin de siècle, but that took a long time to really appreciate as much as I do now. And one changes with age – I loved Oasis initially and disliked Blur. I still like Oasis, but think Blur were actually better musicians and anyway, Pulp's Different Class was the best album of the entire Brit Pop thing.

On a wider scale, I love stuff from every decade from the 1960s on (I just about remember the end of the '60s). But I've realised in the last few years that 'my decade' really is the 1980s (or at least the first half of it), if I'm considering an entire block of music.

I didn't realize so many people liked Pulp. I hate blur though

when I listen to a new cd, I like to put on some smooth jazz, curl up by the fake fire on a bear rug, and smoke american spirit cigarettes

http://www.ourstage.com/music/channel/81-folk/KIUTNTXNSLCM-shes-never-been-home

whn I listen to new music, I light some scented candles, and drink some brandy, and curl up in a psychedelic-art-deco bean bag chair like a minx, while listening to smooth, smooth, smooth, easy listening half dead lifeless elevator drum machine kenny-g-wanna-be jazz...

but then I listen to the cd a second time, you see, as one who has sniffed the wine and has left to drink it. I have my parrot sing a medly while I sit in my smoking jacket by a fake fire, the parrot sitting on me shoulder.

and that is how sophisticated music lovers listen to new music. If you listen to music any differently you have my condolences and condescention

http://www.ourstage.com/music/channel/81-folk/KIUTNTXNSLCM-shes-never-been-home

whn I listen to new music, I light some scented candles, and drink some brandy, and curl up in a psychedelic-art-deco bean bag chair like a minx, while listening to smooth, smooth, smooth, easy listening half dead lifeless elevator drum machine kenny-g-wanna-be jazz...

but then I listen to the cd a second time, you see, as one who has sniffed the wine and has left to drink it. I have my parrot sing a medly while I sit in my smoking jacket by a fake fire, the parrot sitting on me shoulder.

and that is how sophisticated music lovers listen to new music. If you listen to music any differently you have my condolences and condescention

Can I have some of whatever you are smoking?

Back