• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

When you look for a new book . . .

I have admitted elsewhere on this board that I am something of a degenerate book-buyer. Sometimes I am actively searching for certain titles or categories or authors, but I've also been in shops and thrift stores where I'll buy the "best" available book for a "fix". Of course, price is a major consideration when one's buying habits become compulsive, but I buy most of my books at flea markets, thrift stores, library shops, and the like. I've bought loads of books for $1 ea. because I was willing to wager $1 that they woiuld turn out to be interesting.

I mostly read classics so it's pretty easy knowing what to buy. Price is never much of an issue because I normally go to 2nd hand stores.

I usually pick up a book that I have read a review of, or has been highly recommended. But having said that, I also often pick up books that I've never heard of, simply because they catch my eye. I do get quite influenced by the cover of a book - that will make me pick it up - and if the blurb on the back is interesting, then I'll give it a go. If I'm undecided, I'll make a note of it, then read some reviews on it. If it sounds good, then I'll go back and pick it up.

I'd like to go back through the Books of the Month on this forum and read through them as well. I read Small Island because it was Book of the Month, even though when I read reviews of it, I didn't think it would be my kind of book at all. As it turned out, I loved it. :D

I also read books by authors that I like, whether their latest book sounds good or not. :D

I go by a mixture of publishers, authors, recommendations, and reading a random page to see if it looks good.

This is an interesting question. When I'm looking for something new, I have to carefully consider what kind of mood I'm in. I like fantasy and action thrillers so it's usually a toss up between the two. Another factor is what I'm am writing at the time. When I was writing my fantasy novel, I stayed away from reading fantasy because it was too distracting.

I also tend to stick with authors I already know I like. However, I am very open to recommendations from people I know have similar taste as me. This forum has also given me some great ideas of books to read.

Next I read the synopsis on Amazon and see if my library has the book. I haven't bought a book for a while because our library is so extensive. If I really like the book and think I might read it again in the future, I'll buy it second-hand. I'm one of those people that keeps going back to great books over and over. I should probably spend more time finding new great books...

Back