• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Where do I start with comic books or graphic novels?

Giselleope

kickbox
Hi I'm wondering where to star with comic books, or graphic novels. I think I prefer graphic novels but I've never read comic books so I can't know.
I also don't want to start halfway through a series in case I miss story line, is there anyway of avoiding this without paying lots of money for rare comics? do comics carry a story line? Are there any good new comic book series just starting? how do I find out? Graphic Novels vs Comic Books? Is there a difference in quality

Having just gotten into them myself, about a year and a half ago, I have come to find out there aren't a lot of things that can be considered graphic novels. Most are comics. However, they do package these up in trade paperbacks so it gives an appearance of a graphic novel. These can be found at Amazon.Com for $10-$20 depending. (Or pay more, but do good by supporting your local comic book shop!)

If you are NOT into superheroes, then a good place to start would be the publisher Vertigo. They are a subdivision of DC Comics. Vertigo has a lot of great series and as far as trades go, they are usually cheaper then all others. I have been reading "DMZ" by Brian Wood. Very good, in my opinion. If you are a fan of urban/modern fantasy, Neil Gaiman wrote the Sandman series. On the more sci-fi side, though not really heavy stuff is "Y: the Last Man" by Brian K. Vaughn. These are all from Vertigo. DMZ has 8 books out, with the 9th coming in late February. Sandman and Y are both 10 book collections and completed their runs. Not what you were looking for, I know. I haven't hopped on any that recently started, other then one. That one is "Cowboy Ninja Viking" and it's out on Image. Can't remember the author's name. The second collection just came out last week.

Some obvious choices that seem more of a graphic novel are "Watchmen" and "V for Vendetta". I highly recommend both. And one that comes as either three graphic novels, or you can buy the actual omnibus edition is Jeff Lemire's Essex County stories, which was excellent. I am sure others could point you in the direction of material out there that is a graphic novel and not just a collection of comics.

For an (IMO) good Graphic-Novel adaptation of a story you could do far worse than look at 'The Yattering and Jack', an adaptation of the short story by Clive Barker.
If you like the Terry Pratchet Diskworld series you can check out the 'Mort' and 'Guards Guards' Grapic-Novel adaptations.
If you are looking for a different take on the superman theme I would reccomend 'Miricle Man: The Golden Age'

On the other hand, if you are looking for a commic-book omnibus I like 'Nemesis the warlock,' but it probably isn't everyone's cup'o-tea.

Hi I'm wondering where to star with comic books, or graphic novels. I think I prefer graphic novels but I've never read comic books so I can't know.
I also don't want to start halfway through a series in case I miss story line, is there anyway of avoiding this without paying lots of money for rare comics? do comics carry a story line? Are there any good new comic book series just starting? how do I find out? Graphic Novels vs Comic Books? Is there a difference in quality

Digital copies of comics are really cheap. Graphic Novels are typically longer than comics. I'd really try the ecomic approach since its cheaper and just as good.

You could always sart with Maus (by Art Spiegelman), Fun Home (by Alison Bechdel), The Arrival (by Shaun Tan), and Persepolis (by Marjane Satrapi). My favorite of all time is Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth (by Chris Ware). There are a lot of good ones out there. You could simply go to your local library and practically pick out random graphic novels on the shelf and see the types that cater to your tastes.

Watchman, V for Vendetta Maus, and Persepolis are all great places to start, though I did list them in my order of preference. I think Watchman actually won a place in Time Magazine's top 100 Novels or something. It's quite the read. I've heard great things about Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth, but I haven't buckled down and bought a copy.

I think the best thing you (or others with similar questions reading the thread) could do would be to sample a few comics. Talk to your friends who are into comics, or check if your local library or school has a selection to read/borrow. I find I read comics in a different way than I read books, so it's not all that easy to make recommendations for one medium based on your taste in another medium.

All depends what type of story you're after. Comics and graphic novels are a wide medium (not just super-heroes) strolling through all genres. Personal taste comes into it, but I can recommend.:

The Sandman by Neil Gaimen. Originally a comic book run, now collected into trade paperbacks. Beautiful stories told in the fable manner.

The Walking Dead. An ongoing zombie comic series in black and white. Far, far more violent and dark than the series.

The Watchmen. If superheroes are your thing, then start here. Arguably the best superhero story ever told. Forget the film, this is the mutt's nuts, the diamond in the rough of comic book stardom.

Hop that helps,

Neil

Maus if you're looking for something really intense and cerebral. I got both books as a gift when I was 16 and loved them.

Watchmen is a bit exhausting to read. I can say this having gone through it a few times.

Deadpool graphic novels are great. Funny, interesting, good stuff.

I been reading Mouseguard, which is pretty cool.
(My obsession with talking mice).art.jpg.

Back