• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Where the Dickens to start!!!

Roo

One of my New Year's resolutions is to get to grips with Dickens. Some of the novels are very long and I realise that the style is quite wordy so I am looking for some advice as to where to start. Anyone with any ideas asto which novels make a gentle introduction?

I don't think you get much easier than A Christmas Carol, though I can't recommend it.

I struggled myself over which Dickens novel to start with. I finally decided on Great Expectations. It is not quite as long as some of his works, and yet from reviews I have seen, it is one of his finest writings and is a prime example of his unique style and characterizations.

The only reason I did not choose A Christmas Carol is that I know the story and wanted to go with one I wasn't familiar with.

I have not read any Dickens as of yet, but Great Expectations will be my first. I will probably get to it in February. :)

Back