• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Which book in the series of unfortunate events books do you like the most? Why?

Book List:
  1. The Bad Begginning
  2. The Reptile Room
  3. The Wide Window
  4. The Miserable Mill
  5. The Austere Academy
  6. The Ersatz Elevator
  7. The Vile Village
  8. The Hostile Hospital
  9. The Carnivorous Carnival
  10. The Slippery Slope
  11. The Grim Grotto

I really don't have a fav. They are so good. I've read all 11!

Ready for an unpopular opinion?

I've read the first three books. The only one I liked was the second one. I thought the first was super boring and almost didn't read any of the other books. I was determined though, to read the first three before seeing the movie. The third book was somewhere in between the other two.

I feel that the author can't decide who his audience is. He picks subject matter appropriate for older kids, but talks down in his writing. I've read all of the Harry Potter, His Dark Materials and Song of the Lioness books. I think I would choose to reread any of those books before picking up the fourth in this series. I suppose I've got until the next movie release before I need to worry about it.

mehastings said:
I feel that the author can't decide who his audience is. He picks subject matter appropriate for older kids, but talks down in his writing.

That is the most eccentric and stupid part of the series. I don't know the real cause of doing that--besides creating a mysterious facade. Also, his mentioning of Beatrice irritates me. There are chances that the author is mentally ill...But I'm not sure about that.

mehastings said:
Ready for an unpopular opinion?

I've read the first three books. The only one I liked was the second one. I thought the first was super boring and almost didn't read any of the other books. I was determined though, to read the first three before seeing the movie. The third book was somewhere in between the other two.

I feel that the author can't decide who his audience is. He picks subject matter appropriate for older kids, but talks down in his writing. I've read all of the Harry Potter, His Dark Materials and Song of the Lioness books. I think I would choose to reread any of those books before picking up the fourth in this series. I suppose I've got until the next movie release before I need to worry about it.

Yay! Lemony Snicket fan here :)

I think the series gets so much better after book 6, maybe? Because you start to understand all the little phrases and 'clues' etc

The thing I liked about the book was that he talks as an adult to the readers not patronizes them like most authors (so when your reading the book to your niece you sound like your on prozac and speak really really softly) :rolleyes:

I've just finished reading book 11 and I loved it! I can't pick a book on it's own because they kind of rely on eachother they couldn't really stand on their own. I thought book one was nice because it was simple and he didn't over-complicate anything, book 2 because I love snakes but then book 11 is great because it have all those clues (I was oooing and aaaahing throughout the whole thing)

Which did you like best?

Alice

ALL of the books are FABULOUS!!! How Snicket makes many phrases mean different things, how he uses humor (like the whole page of ever,ever, ever, ever and the 2 pages of black), how the characters interact. By the way, I've heard a rumor Lemony Snicket is just a pen name. Does anybody know if that is so? If it is, what is the author's real name? I'm really curious...

ltsvirkunova said:
ALL of the books are FABULOUS!!! How Snicket makes many phrases mean different things, how he uses humor (like the whole page of ever,ever, ever, ever and the 2 pages of black), how the characters interact. By the way, I've heard a rumor Lemony Snicket is just a pen name. Does anybody know if that is so? If it is, what is the author's real name? I'm really curious...

Daniel Handler

ltsvirkunova said:

Yeh, it's Daniel Handler, Lemony Snicket is a kinda glorified pen-name as he is a narrator and character in the series. If you look up Daniel Handler on Amazon he has written quite a few other books :)

Alice

Back