• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Which books have positively surprised you?

Rasmus

I've never been a fan of Woody Allen movies. I usually find them dull and the neurotic thing I find annoying. I've had his books recommended a dusin of times but I never bothered picking them up. Last week caved in and picked his book 'Side Effects' up.

It was an easy read consisting of 17 comical short stories packed with one-liners, u-turns and references. Every little story has it's own unique style: One dialoque written in the style of Plato - Another is discussing UFO sightings, hillbilly-style.

How could I be so stupid.

Woody Allen is mind-twirling funny and I regret not reading Side Effects or any of his other books before now.

Which books have surprised you positively?

hm probably the Jungle, mainly b/c i was expecting it to be a difficult read since i stereotyped my english class after The Scarlet Letter.

Currently i'm reading Fight Club. it certainly surprised me, but i think in a good way. it's more "deep" than i thought it was going to be. [no, i haven't seen the movie]

White Oleander surprised me. i saw the movie before reading the book. the main character is so different from the movie, and i just loved the book. i'd love to re-read it but i dont want to "ruin" the book for me.

i would say the his dark materials trilogy. it seemed to be something completely different. also, believe it or not, the three musketeers!!

Back