• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Which fantasy author next?

raven4022

Just finished Louise Cooper's Time Master Trilogy and am stuck for where to go next.
I've read pretty much all the Sheri S. Tepper books I can get my hands on and have dipped into Neil Gaiman and Charles De Lint, which I really enjoyed. Who does anyone recommend I should try next?

Ta, Ali.

Do you enjoy reading series? Most of the authors I like tend to do trilogies or long series.

rune

Steven Erikson's Tales of the Malazan Empire, which begins with Gardens of the Moon. Quite simply the best fantasy I've ever read (by a very wide margin)

I do like trilogies. I don't go out of my way to read them specifically, but I nearly always end up reading them!
Which authors do you like rune?
I'll have a look at Steven Erikson!

If you like fantasy trilogies, then you cant go far wrong with Raymond E. Feist's original Riftwar series - Magician, Silverthorn and A Darkness at Sethanon - great, epic stuff :)

Also, i would suggest Robin Hobb's books as they are a good read too, the first Assasin's trilogy especially!!

Phil

PS: You have read Lord of the Rings right?? Its quite a good little trilogy!! :D

Thanks for that.
Yeah I've read Lord of the Rings. Wouldn't describe it as a little trilogy though!
Keep meaning to read Magician but never quite get round to it.
Had a look at Gardens of the Moon-looks good!

Feist's Magician

Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy -starts with Assassin's Apprentice

Martin's A song of Ice and Fire- Starts with A Game of Thrones (though the series isn't finished yet)

Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun takes a bit of getting used to, and can be difficult reading but stick with it. This is one of those books that really blooms on the reread

LOTR when it came out was compared against Eddison's The Worm Oroboros, though Oroboros is very poetry laden (can be difficult to read through in the same way as Shakespeare- stick with it though since it's one of those 'unique' books of a world not inspired by Tolkein)

I have read Book of the New Sun, definitely takes some effort to read but very worthwhile! I got the second one but think I'll have to reread the first one!!
I've heard a lot about Robin Hobb, is she any good?

Originally posted by raven4022
I've heard a lot about Robin Hobb, is she any good?

IMHO She's one of the cream of the current crop of fantasy writers out there at the mo, and on many people's 'must buy' lists. Her characters seem human, and there is a sense of feeling that you know them all personally. Her work tends to be more character driven than world driven, and the story sometimes develops a bit slowly, but definitely give her books a try.

Would that be Fluffy Bunny from sffworld?

I completely agree about Robin Hobb, think she's a fantastic writer. Definately should cheak her out.

it is, but since I'm always genre hopping, went seeking some forums for the crime/thriller/drama/romance/classics. Ended up here for some reason

Didn't realise I was a celebrity ;)

There are a few authors you could try reading, most of the ones I am going to list are into series too, so quite often they have a lot of books to go at :)

Robin Hobb - has been mentioned already but I can definately 2nd the recommendation.

Jim Butcher - good storytelling without being overloaded on detail.

Anne Bishop - writes dark fantasy, which I quite enjoy. Her style is real easy to follow, and she doesnt through a lot of detail at you all at once.

Chris Wooding - Just found this author and was very impressed.

Sarah Zettel - she hasnt written that much, but she does have at least one completed series, which is pretty good.

Mark Anthony - I am thoroughly enjoying his Last Rune series. A good, imagnative writer.

Jan Siegel - she's not written alot, but what she has is pretty good and very entertaining.

Laurell K Hamilton - I have just started reading her Anita Blake series (vampire series). But I first started reading her fantasy series, that follows Merridith, from the Sidhi court. I really like this author.

Hope this list helps you out :)

rune

I'm about halfway through Ian M. Banks' Consider Phlebus, and really enjoying it. I've got a Robin Hobb lined up to read next.

I've read the Laurell K Hamilton books about Merridith, can't remember what they're called now, but I'm eagerly waiting for the next one. I haven't read the Anita Blake series.

I have so many authors I want to look at now that I don't know who to go for next! I've made a note of all the ones reccommended!
Thanks rune

Originally posted by raven4022
I'm about halfway through Ian M. Banks' Consider Phlebus, and really enjoying it. I've got a Robin Hobb lined up to read next.

I've read the Laurell K Hamilton books about Merridith, can't remember what they're called now, but I'm eagerly waiting for the next one. I haven't read the Anita Blake series.

I have so many authors I want to look at now that I don't know who to go for next! I've made a note of all the ones reccommended!
Thanks rune

No problem :)

If I come across anyone else that I think you might be interested I'll post them in this thread.

rune

Want something new to read?

If you want something really new, I've just published a fantasy fiction book. I don't know if it's the type you like to read, but those who have read it (and over 100 people have read it so far) have liked it a lot. It's the first of a trilogy. It's called The Dragon's Eye, by Jenelle Schmidt. You can find it at < **advert link removed** >

A brief summary:
Ages ago, when the land of Aom-igh was in grave danger, King Llian went to the dragons for help. They granted him a gift which helped them greatly. The dragon also gave him this promise, that the dragons would not hesitate to come to the humans' aid if Aom-igh was ever in such deadly danger again...

Now that danger has returned and it is up to Princess Kamarie, her eccentric maid Darby, and a reluctant Squire named Oraeyn to seek out the dragons and ask them to honor their promise.

Back