• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Which Laptop? H E L P Please....

Erica

I'm Thinking of buying a Laptop, :) but don't know where to start, any advice or one you would recommend?
I need it mainly for home use, but know nowt about them :eek:

I sold my car and have about £700 please help, as I'm so worried I will get the wrong one :confused:
Thanks........... :)

Erica:

I have owned four Toshiba laptops since 1997. I won't buy anything else. If you're looking for an absolutely reliable laptop you cannot go wrong with Toshiba.

I have never had to deal with Tech Support and I have never had any hard- or software problems. Considering I've owned four of these computers over eight years, I think they're a steal.

Good luck!

The Prussian :)

The Prussian said:
Erica:

I have owned four Toshiba laptops since 1997. I won't buy anything else. If you're looking for an absolutely reliable laptop you cannot go wrong with Toshiba.

I have never had to deal with Tech Support and I have never had any hard- or software problems. Considering I've owned four of these computers over eight years, I think they're a steal.

Good luck!

The Prussian :)

Thank you :) x

I think it all depends on what you want to do with it exactly, and what you're used to.

Erica said:
I have also seen a Toshiba m50-164 for £650 in Dixons....?
Remember - it's not just about the model number, but what it comes with. For example you need to think about RAM (how fast will it process things?), Hard Drive Space (how much stuff do you need to store on it) and what operating system you want (Windows or Mac). The best thing to do is take an afternoon to go around to computer stores and start asking questions. Admit to them that you know nothing and start from the very beginning (you probably know more than you think). As you go on you'll realise what suits your needs. Starting with a budget is great, now you need to find out what specifications you want.

Take a look at this link from eBay to familiarise yourself with some terms.

Kookamoor said:
Remember - it's not just about the model number, but what it comes with. For example you need to think about RAM (how fast will it process things?), Hard Drive Space (how much stuff do you need to store on it) and what operating system you want (Windows or Mac). The best thing to do is take an afternoon to go around to computer stores and start asking questions. Admit to them that you know nothing and start from the very beginning (you probably know more than you think). As you go on you'll realise what suits your needs. Starting with a budget is great, now you need to find out what specifications you want.

Take a look at this link from eBay to familiarise yourself with some terms.

Ok thanks for that, Im so worried about making a mistake!
I will sleep on it now tonight, and may go to pc world tomorrow and do like you said, then have another think!
thanks so much :)
PS....That Link from ebay looks very helpful, will have a read of that in the morning. cheers x

Erica said:
Ok thanks for that, Im so worried about making a mistake!
The reality is that any laptop you buy will be out of date before you leave the store. That's why it's really important that *you* are happy with the computer you buy and it suits *your* needs. I'm not trying to fob you off here (and I know far less about computers than other forum members!), but just giving you some advice on how I, personally, would proceed.

I recently bought a digital camera and went through this, not wanting to get it home and realise there was something else I wanted that I hadn't considered. I did *a lot* of research and am really happy with the one I got. I started out just talking to people in the stores about what this do-dad does, and what this setting means, and worked out what I needed for my purposes.

Back