• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

who is the most elegant figure in English literature?

Crystal

kickbox
Hi, all :)

Would you like to give your idea of who is the most ELEGANT figure in English literature. He/ she should be a well-known literature character, who can be generally referred as a symbol of elegance. Emm... :rolleyes: Am I understood?

Thanks for the help!

I find Emily Dickenson to an elegant figure thought I don't think she wrote Engish literature. I think she wrote American Literature. Other than that, I feel that Poe has a very true visual to what was portrade from his mind.

do you mean literature in english language or british literature :confused:
and do you mean characters or writers (or both?)

Sidney Carton in "A Tale of Two Cities" --

"'Tis a far, far better thing that I do than I have ever done...."

That's elegant. :)

Irene Wilde

YEAH!!!!!!!! (At least someone understood me.)

Irene understood me so well. Thanks. :)

Yes, I meant the character in the British literature. I wanted to write it in a response to the thread 'London", so here was this question.

But really thanks for the response!

The historical classic elegant dandy has always been Beau Brummel, though the book has faded in popularity.

Give me Bertie Wooster and his piano any day--and his butler!

just noticed that those who were so kind to reply this post were people from the North America. Yet, the topic was very british one.

Isn't that funny??!! :rolleyes:

That is funny! I'm not sure why, but my favourite books have always been the ones from pre-1900s. Jane Austen, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sir Thomas Malory, Jules Verne, Alexandre Dumas (I know, I know... the last two are French, but they fit in the same broad category of not North American and pre-1900.

If this thread could be expanded to include any character in any book, no just British, I'd give Captain Nemo my vote for the most elegant. He's so mysterious! And his kind of mystery is so compelling and almost disarming.

dele said:
If this thread could be expanded to include any character in any book, no just British, I'd give Captain Nemo my vote for the most elegant. He's so mysterious! And his kind of mystery is so compelling and almost disarming.

Emmm, who is this guy, Captain Nemo? Emm, sounds he is kinda cool.

hehe, by the way, you have my fav. cat, that garfield. Glad to meet you here, dele! :)

Who couldn't just love Garfield! :D It's nice to meet you too watercrystal! This is a great website.

Captain Nemo is from Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, my all-time favourite book. My sig comes from that book as well and means Changing with Change. Great book, give it a read. ;)

Elizabeth Bennet.She shows such composure even when faced with such a ridiculous family.I feel her pain, if only i could bare it so well.

When I was about 12 years old I thought that Soames Forsythe was without a doubt the most elegant character in English literature. The man sat around brooding all day in a silk Jaeger dressing gown. I always wanted one of those. I would imagine it to be a deep blue brocade with black silk lapels. Nowadays Jaeger only make clothes for women.

I was about to say Prince Andrei Bolkonsky. Then I realised that Tolstoy is hardly English literature.

Do you want one from a classic novel? Because in a more contemporary vein, it's hard to beat Lord Asriel from His Dark Materials for sheer style.

elegance immortalised

If it's characters you're after and you don't mind a play, then definitely Lord Goring in Oscar Wilde's "An Ideal Husband". Very beautifully portrayed by Rupert Everett in a film of it about 5 years ago. He has several very amusing things to say about fashion and society - always slightly tongue in cheek.

Back