• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who is your least favourite author?

Yeah, I have to agree that Tolkien is on the top of my list. And Faulker and Steinbeck are up there, too. I probably haven't picked up any number of books that I am certain I would hate because they're lovingly compared to these books that I already hate. So there could be many more despised books out there. :p

Yeah, I love Cussler, too. Have every one of them, and will keep buying them forever. Of course, I also like Sue Grafton, and "The Cat Who..." mysteries and Mrs. Pollifax. Guess I'm a person of no account and no good taste. :eek: Ah, well. It's the reason why there are so many shelves in the library.

Cathy

I'm probably gonna get my head bashed in for this, but my least favorite writer is Philip k. Dick. I started reading his Lies, Inc. and I just... I had to put it down.

dele said:
Well, some of us happen to enjoy his books, me being one of them. And although I respect your opinion, your way of phrasing it rather offended me. He is popular because he writes entertaining fiction about endearing characters in larger-than-life situations.

"Frankly, my dear...I don't give a damn."

I was simply stating my honest opinion of how I feel about him, so it shouldn't have offended you.

I just think that his books are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo unoriginal, mundane and, to put it simply, 'cheesy'.

I haven't smoked any woo-woo for a good few months...I've come to the conclusion that: Marijuana is bad...drugs are bad...don't do drugs.

Do you not always not not not speak through a lit bong-b-bong-bong-BONG?

Shade said:
I was amused by Anthony Lane's piece in the New Yorker (collected in Nobody's Perfect) when he read all the books in the top ten bestseller list for one week in 1994, and then wrote about his ordeal. Among the list was Judith Krantz and Allan Folsom (hence references to them in the below quote), plus Clive Cussler...

Now that is some literary spurlocking of the first magnitude.

Yes, he's a glutton for punishment. The only good book on the list, according to him, was Caleb Carr's The Alienist. He then did it again for some week in 1944, to see how wartime readers fared. Again it was all crap...

Shade, great quote. Do you happen to know if that article is available somewhere online?

Cheers

I don't think so alas, Martin, and it's too long for me to type in in its entirety... However you can buy the book here which, at 800 pages, has plenty more in it that's worthwhile. (I particularly liked his closing shot in Mission Impossible 2: "Here's the bad news. M:i-2 is N:f-ing:G."

:D good one, that!

Too bad it isn't freely available, but thanks for the heads-up, Shade.

Cheers

Shade said:
Yes, he's a glutton for punishment. The only good book on the list, according to him, was Caleb Carr's The Alienist. He then did it again for some week in 1944, to see how wartime readers fared. Again it was all crap...

Sounds like a great piece.

On The Alienist I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, because it was a zippy read and the plot didn't suck, but the characters were far too modern in their habits and dialogue.

I hated the way the press treated it as this heavy historical novel, when it was chock full of inaccuracies and plainly unbelievable scenes. I remember the female protagonist, a proper young lady with good schooling, wandering around lower Manhattan late at night alone smoking a cigarette and looking for a cab. I think that was meant to show that she was a "modern" thinker. Ugh.

Back