• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who likes Kungfu flicks?

I grew up with Kung Fu theater and loved every minute of it. All time favorites were 5 Deadly Venoms and drunken master. If this isn't limited to strictly Kung Fu movies, anything with Sonny Chiba and all those cool Samurai movies like Ninja Wars and Shogun Assassin were great!

If we are talking old kung fu movies -

Hand Of Death - John Woo's first directorial effort is not bad.

Dragon Fist

Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin

Half a Loaf of Kung Fu - very funny spoof

I haven't seen it yet, but I want to see Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. I think it's on this month.

Whoa, entire movies in Youtube! I'm such an old man - heard about this, but never did went around finding them. Great stuff, Meadow!

If this isn't limited to strictly Kung Fu movies, anything with Sonny Chiba and all those cool Samurai movies like Ninja Wars and Shogun Assassin were great!
Sonny Chiba appeared in one of my favourite guilty pleasure wuxia film of all time, the incredibly polished, slightly shallow but hugely fun Storm Riders! The sequel, Storm Warriors, made approx 10 years after the first, should be avoided at all cost. No Sonny Chiba there.

Whoa, entire movies in Youtube! I'm such an old man - heard about this, but never did went around finding them. Great stuff, Meadow!

Where have you been hiding LOL there have been full length movies on youtube for 2 years? longer? I'm not sure but simply ages. Quality isn't always so great but hey the quality on these movies often isn't great even if you do get them on DVD

Sonny Chiba's movies are all pretty good and so are Jimmy Wang Wu's One Armed Swordsman movies - but don't even try watch anything he is in where he has both arms!

I haven't seen it yet, but I want to see Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. I think it's on this month.

Its really worth a watch. I know its not every one's cup of tea and many say both Michelle Yeoh and Chow Yun Fat (his HK cop movies are pretty good too) have made better movies, but there is still a lot of good stuff in it. Its more a Hollywood production but it was choreographed by Yuen Woo Ping and directed by Ang Lee.

Actually I watched an old interview of his, that is Yuen Woo Ping, circa 1985 when he said that what he wanted to do was combine martial arts and sci-fi - can you think Matrix?

This is super super awesome! Kudos to Meadow! Let it not be said you will never learn about kungfu in a book forum... :)

In the last link there's a gem of recent times - Tai Chi Master with Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh. It is dubbed, unfortunately, but it's a good movie nonetheless. :)

At the risk of going off topic, I only know The Return of the Condor Heroes, primarily absorbed through a very comprehensive comics series from a Singaporean artist called Wee Tian Beng (and none of the TV series adaptations), and the utterly boring A Man Called Hero movie starring Ekin Cheng (it's a movie, saved the thread!).

Are you reading Jin Yong in English?

(and I just spent 30 mins watching the ending sequence of Tai Chi Master.... darn you Meadow!!!!)

LOL but the ending is brilliant! I don't blame you for watching it :)

Yes I'm reading Jin Yong in English. There is a whole lot of his work lovingly translated by fans, because only one book has been officially translated.

Such a pity because it is brilliant.

Yes I'm reading Jin Yong in English. There is a whole lot of his work lovingly translated by fans, because only one book has been officially translated.
Wait wait wait. How and where can I get this? I've asked plenty of people here, but Jin Yong fans here are those who already know how to read Chinese, for them English translations are a little less of a priority. I couldn't find any, but then to be honest I didn't turn on my super internet magical powers to go look for them.

The thing about English translations is that the wuxia fighting styles are so elegant in Chinese. The translations are a necessity for non-speakers, but without prior exposure to kungfu, stuff like 'Sixth Level of Dragon Image!' or 'Maiden Purity Swordsmanship!', 'Whacking Two Dogs' and 'Palm of Gloom' doesn't really sound right.

Wait wait wait. How and where can I get this? I've asked plenty of people here, but Jin Yong fans here are those who already know how to read Chinese, for them English translations are a little less of a priority. I couldn't find any, but then to be honest I didn't turn on my super internet magical powers to go look for them.

The thing about English translations is that the wuxia fighting styles are so elegant in Chinese. The translations are a necessity for non-speakers, but without prior exposure to kungfu, stuff like 'Sixth Level of Dragon Image!' or 'Maiden Purity Swordsmanship!', 'Whacking Two Dogs' and 'Palm of Gloom' doesn't really sound right.

LINKY THINGY - http://wuxiapedia.com/Novels/Jin-Yong

The English is a little stilted at times but still very readable. Translations of fighting styles - so far so good.

Another list to links with notes. Not all links are still current:

http://errantcluster.blogspot.com/2011/05/list-of-jin-yongs-wuxia-in-english.html

Another set of downloads which I suspect are the same as the others.

http://www.ancientchinese.net/index.php?topic=248.0

And don't sign in to that forum, don't look at this thread:

http://www.ancientchinese.net/index.php?board=28.0

Last edited:
Noodles as weapons? I've never seen that! :)

But Old Beggar Soo is able to pluck flies from the air using chopsticks though. :) I think I saw Jackie spoof this in his Karate Kid remake with Jaden Smith.

And thanks Meadow. Can't get to the forum right now, but will check it out.

It's a pleasure :)

I think the Karate Kid remake just copied the first Karate Kid in most things including the scene with Mr Miyagi catching the flies, just with a bit of a new twist.

Beggar Soo caught mosquitos with his bare hands as well :)

Last edited:
I have found another great one: Wendy Wu: Homecoming Warrior!

Ok, it's not in the same vein, but I laughed out loud in many parts!

Back