• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

who the heck is v???? [possible spoiler for V for Vendetta]

direstraits

this has been irritating me for a while now.

for those of you who have read Alan Moore's V for Vendetta, who the heck is he (or she)???

btw, i loved the book. :D

ds

Well V was the man in room V (5 in Roman numerals :D )

Well V was just a character that Alan Moore constructed from a number of influences such as Guy Fawkes etc. You could argue that V is just an idea personified, crying out against fascism and some of the policies of Thatcher's government.

fluffy bunny said:
Well V was the man in room V (5 in Roman numerals :D )
hehe

i get the feeling that V is a character that appeared sans the mask somewhere in the book, but wasn't obvious. i couldn't find the info on the net either... it's like an itch i can't scratch.

well, i'm wondering if this idea has a face...

ds

thanks fluffy bunny... but i've visited this site before. it doesn't cover who he/she was, but i've inadvertantly more time than i bargained for re-reading it. :)

ds

I'd be pretty miffed if V were me. I don't remember granting Moore my permission to use my likeness in the book! And I'm much more good looking, and I don't give roses!

ds

i get the feeling that V is a character that appeared sans the mask somewhere in the book, but wasn't obvious.
That would be interesting... but I'm not sure. I'm more with Fluffy Bunny on this:
V is just an idea personified, crying out against fascism and some of the policies of Thatcher's government

But also, why was he put in there in the first place? Most of those put into those camps were radicals, homosexuals, non white people, etc... Which was V? Who was he?

one could say many of the characters in this book could easily be reflections of different parts of human nature--

V being the everyman that revolts with conviction-- the hero that everyone wishes they had the strength to be

Evey being innocence that is threatened by the world around her, that by conquering fear becomes strong and free.

the leader/chancellor as a well-meaning individual corrupted by the lust for power

there are others, of course, but the idea is that these characters don't NEED faces. they're ideas, plain and simple, and (imho) giving V a face would lessen the overall 'moral' of the story -- that ideal that moore was trying to show us through his character.

Back