• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Why "Boo"

I don't know actually. Is it because he is seen as a scary "ghostly" character who is only ever seen occasionally and makes people jump?

Or did his actual family refer to him as Boo as well. I'm trying to remember what Atticus calles him, and am fairly certain he refers to him as Mr Arthur Radley. This makes me think it is a nickname made up by the children....?

I used to know a guy who's nickname was "Boo", but don't know how it related to his given name. I only ever heard anybody call him "Boo". I am pretty sure, though, that the nickname didn't have anything to do with Harper Lee's book.

I recently gave my copy away so can't check, but I agree with Sally and as far as I remember he is only known as 'Boo' to the children, simply because he is a little creepy and so dominates their imaginations, living his life as a recluse and being seen as somewhat of a bogeyman in their eyes. Throughout the novel they refuse to see him as one of the 'mockingbirds' of the story, ignoring anything good that he does, or choosing not to believe it is him (such as the presents left in the tree and wrapping them in blankets at the fire), and I found it interesting to see the children growing in character right up to the end.

stucorbs - is this for personal enlightenment or for coursework? I'd love to hear your thoughts on the novel, and I realise that having the book chosen for you to read instead of approaching it at your leisure can altar your opinion slightly. :)

If it is for coursework, are you reading TKAMB along with other racist and prejudice fiction such as The Scarlett Letter and The Crucible?

Cheers

Mxx

To Kill a Mockingbird is certainly a great read. (I think that what yall have said about the "boo" thing is right.)

The Scarlet Letter was despicable though...I hated it. Maybe it was because I *had* to read it for school, but still...it bored me.

Back