• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Why comics/graphic novels?

Darren

What is it that attracts people to them? I was looking at a Star Wars graphic novel when I was in a local bookshop and one of my friends I was with said something like "aren't they just for kids?".

Any thoughts?

you can get gfx novels for kids and adults...
certainly the ones i read, i wouldnt give to a kid :)

Yes, some graphic novels are definitely not for kids and besides, there's nothing wrong with reading kids books once in a while:)

I guess that's why Harry Potter has become so popular - there's a kid in all of us no matter what age we are.

I read a bunch of kids books, well, to kids. My own, mostly, and I have to say it does no end of good for your outlook on life. I remember reading a few large comic books when I was a kid, but can't say that I have ever picked up an actual graphic novel with the intent of reading it cover to cover. I have to agree with loci, however, there are some sights in some of the ones I have flipped through that would make a sailor blush. :eek:

Hi. Mark Allen, here. New member. As a reviewer of comic books and graphic novels, this seemed like a good place to start.

There is, indeed, a big difference between graphic novels and comics. GNs do tend to be targeted at a more "adult" audience. Though, unfortunately, what that usually seems to mean is more violence and sexual content, instead of more interesting, realistic, or engaging story telling.

What's attractive about the medium? That's a hard one, for someone who has enjoyed it for almost 30 years. There are some very talented artists working in the field, today, and I, like many others, enjoy great art. I just happen to go to the local comic shop to aquire it, instead of the museum. (Though many past comic artists are now having their work hung on museum walls.) As for the writing, it's a mish-mash; there's the good, the bad and the ugly. But rest assured, there's something for everyone.

Well, glad to be here. Looking forward to some good conversation.

I've just recently started to get interested in art again. As Mark says comics can provide great art and there are some great artists out, my favorite at the moment is Alex Ross.

I've just started to by a few comics, but mainly I buy them for the art and not the storyline.

I'm 23. Spider-Man is the coolest Comic on the planet. Particularly the Clone saga. (Ben Reilly is the coolest!)
The best story lines are the ones that people have to actually 'read'. I hate team ups. DULL
Check out www.comicboards.com

I bought my first graphic a few days ago...paid a hefty 19.95 out of my poor college earnings for the thing, but I do believe it was worth it. It was IX out of the Sandman series by Neil Gaiman. Very talented artists were featured, and Neil is quite talented himself. A lot of great visuals...quotable one-liners, that sort of thing. Im not sure about other graphic novelists, but I'd say Neil Gaiman is worth a try.

Originally posted by Darren Lewis
"aren't they just for kids?"

Just for kids? Depends on the subject matter- comics such as Beano and the Dandy are aimed at children, but if you look around, there are a number of comics aimed at adults (and not just the ones that try to be sensational with sex and violence either). Granted there's an obsession with superheroes, but a diverse set of genres is represented across the board - it all depends what floats your boat.

Comics are an art form in their own right and tell a story in a different way. The best ones possess the ability to display a series of still images in such a way as to make you fill in the gaps in between panels. Not all utilise words and dialogue boxes (though the thought bubble is an incredibly good storytelling device that seems to have gone out of fashion).

Besides, what's wrong with children's stories? Last time I checked comic book adaptations are making a killing at the box office, and young adult fantasy was on the rise in terms of popularity (Harry Potter, Artemis Fowl and His Dark Materials to name a few).

The main problem with comics at the mo IMHO is the price- buy a book, pay the publisher and the writer. Buy a comic and you pay a writer, penciller, inker, colourist, letterer, publisher, printer (colour pages cost more than a few pages of pure black and white text)- hence a comic on average is 22 pages without adverts, costs approx £2 to £2.50 and lasts around 15 mins.

Though realistically it's about the same as a video/dvd in terms of cost per min.

In every medium, 95% of everything published is pap. Same with comics. You have to dig deep to find the good stuff.

Particularly the Clone saga
Going to have to disagree with you there- clone saga was one of the biggest piles of s*** I've had the pleasue of reading

Back