• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Why do people run a mile when you ask them to review poetry ebooks

gerard quain

kickbox
Firstly, let me say this I love to be reviewed by readers , any form of critique is good as far as I am concerned, also I have a very thick skin, so whatever a reader thinks goes as far as the reader wants, but every I ask a reader or even a friend to review my ebooks, their eyes glaze over they fear that I might take it to heart seems to be general reply, I went to an Irish secondary school, critiques never fazes a person who has been to an Irish secondary school

Well you are the exception that proves the rule because normally 'critique' she no received so well.

Well you are the exception that proves the rule because normally 'critique' she no received so well.
personally the harsher the critique the better , i hav e no problem with people tearing my poetry or indeed me personally to shreds, the first think all writers should is realise it is just one opinion, and in a perverse way , the more harsh it is , the more readers it attracts , like the adage goes all publicity is good publicity

Good critics and reviewers are hard to find, no matter the genre. Poetry is a niche genre at the very, very least, so no wonder good honest readers are nearly impossible to get for your cause.

Everybody thinks you write garbage, to begin with, long before they actually read the novel, poem or whatever we are talking about. Nobody wants to read garbage and then tell the author it is garbage. They take the fact that it is garbage for granted and act accordingly, at least in my experience. It is only when (if) they actually read it that they gain an understanding of what the work really is.

Now that is undoubtedly true Richard, sadly this goes back to issues with both perceptions of and the reality of self pubs. And I have to admit mea culpa on some of that - my expectations of a self pub are not high but the problem is the attitude arose from seldom being surprised by good writing. At least I can say I have not reached the point where I'm unwilling to try read self pub books, if the subject grabs me.

Now that is undoubtedly true Richard, sadly this goes back to issues with both perceptions of and the reality of self pubs. And I have to admit mea culpa on some of that - my expectations of a self pub are not high but the problem is the attitude arose from seldom being surprised by good writing. At least I can say I have not reached the point where I'm unwilling to try read self pub books, if the subject grabs me.
my only advice is read my poetry, no matter what you say about it , your critique will be taken and read, I need to be a better poet and a better man, if you review my ebooks or any of poems, at least it might improve me in one way at least

Good critics and reviewers are hard to find, no matter the genre. Poetry is a niche genre at the very, very least, so no wonder good honest readers are nearly impossible to get for your cause.

Everybody thinks you write garbage, to begin with, long before they actually read the novel, poem or whatever we are talking about. Nobody wants to read garbage and then tell the author it is garbage. They take the fact that it is garbage for granted and act accordingly, at least in my experience. It is only when (if) they actually read it that they gain an understanding of what the work really is.
If a reader feels my work is garbage then so be it, I wish I could make people see beyond themselves , and I wish sometimes that what was between the lines was as obvious as the lines themselves, that said, I totally concur with what you written

Firstly, let me say this I love to be reviewed by readers , any form of critique is good as far as I am concerned, also I have a very thick skin, so whatever a reader thinks goes as far as the reader wants, but every I ask a reader or even a friend to review my ebooks, their eyes glaze over they fear that I might take it to heart seems to be general reply, I went to an Irish secondary school, critiques never fazes a person who has been to an Irish secondary school

Richard's nailed it.

It's a very hard pre-conceived notion I agree.

I'm genuinely surprised that you have trouble with publishing / selling / finding readers for poetry in Ireland. Take y'self down to the nearest pub for the next poetry reading group. Have a whisky (with or with out an 'e') and do your thing :)

Back