• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Why do you read?

Karina42

Why do we all love to read? Is it purely for entertainment? To gain insight? To learn? To escape? To look smart? I was just wondering what it is about reading that I am so obsessed with, and I guess that for me, it is for a lot of reasons, namely for entertainment and books make you think and open your eyes to a myriad of view points. Books cause you to see things in ways that you never would have otherwise. So I ask: why do you all read? :confused:

Karina42 said:
Why do we all love to read? Is it purely for entertainment? To gain insight? To learn? To escape? To look smart? I was just wondering what it is about reading that I am so obsessed with, and I guess that for me, it is for a lot of reasons, namely for entertainment and books make you think and open your eyes to a myriad of view points. Books cause you to see things in ways that you never would have otherwise. So I ask: why do you all read? :confused:

To learn and to become a bookworm.

I would say reading is learning. The more you read the more you acquire knowledge. This is my sole purpose of reading plenty of books.

I love the way I feel when I read. I go into a sort of trance where people can be talking to me and I don't even hear them. I don't remember reading, but rather seeing the action in my mind. It's like a movie where I decide how things look.

Karina42 said:

Not easy to say why... can only say!
I read just to go off into a World that's all mine, that I choose....Utter bliss

I love reading because for a few hours I get to live someone else's life and experience their experiences.

I read for most of the reasons you mentioned, except to look smart. I don't care that much for looks, and I know I am smart, I don't have to look it. :rolleyes: I like to get away from my ordinary life sometimes, I want to learn about some other place, time or lifestyle, I just love to read

So that I can look like I actually use my brains (when actually I usually sit on them) and impress some girls.

ds

Guess escapism is my primary motivation, hence more fiction than non-. I can switch off the outside world while I have my nose in a book.

I like to exercise my mind - TV or film does all the work for you re: what characters and places look like and how they sound. And no other story telling medium can take you inside the minds of the characters as effectively.

Books are an excellent form of portable entertainment too. I'm amazed at those who can sit on the Tube and stare into space. How do they do it?? Can someone please explain.

I wish reading did impress girls, it would transform my (lack of) love life ;) .

Most of the time, I read because it's fun. I read more these days because there's no hockey to watch.

Sometimes I read to search for answers, because the more I think about things, the more I ask why.

direstraits said:
So that I can look like I actually use my brains (when actually I usually sit on them) and impress some girls.
ds

Aren't you married? What would your wife say about that? See, I pay attention too, ds! :D

I read for information and enlightenment. I think it's one of the best ways to see the world, history, emotions, etc through someone else's point of view.

I read because... I guess I'm compulsive about how I read. I have to, and feel really bad when I don't read as much I would like.
I read mainly for entertainment, but I love the whole escapism thing (especaially at school), and you learn A LOT through what you read. Mainly, I think I just find what other people do interesting. It's like a window into someone else's life.

d because I love it! It takes me away to other places (in all forms). Sometimes when He who doesn't cry talks repeatedly to me to get me to hear and when I finally do, I say "I was in France, I was fighting, I was being chased by a baddie, etc".

I like escaping.

Back