• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Why doesn't my generation enjoy reading?

Why did my nephew almost cry because his phone was locked and he had to go without it from about 10 pm until 9 am, time he most likely spend sleeping anyway. That's addiction and I don't get how.
And how old is this nephew?

15. I wonder why anyone would want kids.

Especially when the adults pay the phone bill.

Bad news for you it's going to get worse, I know a girl in her mid-twenties and for the sake of a conversation we worked out what her phone cost her for a year - two thousand, four hundred pounds and that estimate was on the mean side...

Now I've been wondering, is this only a problem with younger generations? Or are the older generations reading less than previously? And how would we measure this? Books sold equals books read or perhaps surveys?

How old are you exactly? Sorry if you said that in here somewhere but I didn't notice. What ages do you think are the best and worst about reading books?

Decline of money for public education, pervasion of "stupid is cool" philosophies pushed by major media outlets (much easier to entertain someone you have rendered dumb), take your pick really.

It's not the kids I'm worried about. They are supposed to be enjoying silly nonsense. It's the 35-year-olds reading Harry Potter and Twilight. That is far more disturbing.

Well, I'm not quite 35 but I did enjoy reading Harry Potter...and had the misfortune to subject my mind to Twilight too. Why do you find adults reading YA disturbing?

In answer to the original question, I agree with the idea that there's a lot of competition with movies, video games, and social media sites. Most of the RPG games and action RPG games I've played have had very good stories. There's less work involved in terms of imagination, but the graphics have gotten to a stunningly beautiful level of quality.

There's probably some correlation that could be drawn to the general societal breakdown of the nuclear family. With more and more broken families, more parents (both mother and father) have to work and have less time for the kids. That probably leads to a general decline in the amount of kids spending hours sitting at their parent's feet soaking in storytime. (This doesn't cover all circumstances, sure, but it could be a contributing factor.)

I've ALWAYS been such a big reader since the age of 5, but my friends weren't sadly and there were some mean people who'd laugh at me if they saw me entering or coming out of the library! I used to try and hide the fact I read a lot. I'd go into the library after school and take out the maximum amount of books haha.

Children these days probably just about know what a book is.. too many computers, tablets and other gadgets for them to fiddle with! Don't get me wrong computers are great but it doesn't make your brain work the same way a book will.

I was saying to my Dad and boyfriend on Christmas day, that you never see children outside playing on their new bikes or scooters and things.. they'll all be inside with a new iPad or something. If I had something like a bike or skates I'd be outside the same day playing! It saddens me that we don't see that anymore (I am only 21) but it still gets to me.

I'll just make sure when I have children of my own that they'll be introduced to books and not alienated by technology haha :)

Unfortunately its not the kids that buy the iPad's and so on .... if you don't buy them, the kids can't have them :) but sadly parents all too often buy stuff because they know it will give them a few hours peace and quiet rather than thinking about what is best. Kids need to be encouraged to get out and play, especially in cities where outside is not necessarily safe - parents have to make an effort to go to the park and get out and play. The issues around too many hours playing computer games etc are well documented. Actually I watched a TV show the other day that had a group of 9 - 10 year olds tested for motor skills and it was shocking. They could not do basic things like hop, skip or turn a somersault. It was part of a programme to introduce parents to the necessity of physical exercise. The testing was to give parents a wake up call.

Back