• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Why My Socks Don’t Match

Inkheart

Wrote this a few nights ago during a bout of insomnia. Hope it resonates with some of you. :p

Why My Socks Don’t Match

Firstly, my socks do match. I bought all my socks in matching pairs. The problem is that they don’t seem to like each other that much. From the moment I snipped the clear plastic holding them together it became clear. They had been held against their will. Now, with this freedom, my socks do their utmost never to be seen together again.

I wear them together, I wash them together and then they are officially divorced. Opening the door of the washing machine after a cycle is usually where my frustration begins. I put in a pair of red socks – don’t question my taste – and one single, sniggering red sock will be waiting. It’s a sock, but it knows. It knows exactly where the other one is. Sock murder? Is this the guilty one lying shrivelled on the kitchen lino? Where’s the body? I stick my head into the fresh smelling water dome. Nothing.

I put the clothes on the radiator, inside out and upside down. Jeans and a t-shirt with three (clearly single) socks at the end. Usually at this point as I’m stuffing a denim trouser leg down the back of the rads, I’ll find a dusty clump of overheated sock. I pull it out. The Bin Laden of the sock world. It’s been in hiding for God knows how long. I study it, it seems familiar but it’s one time spouse is long gone. For some reason, I shake it out and place it with the other socks.

I stop halfway up the stairs. In the corner of step number six – yes, I count the number of steps each time I go, up and down – is an unwashed sock. This sock is one of those ones that leap from the wash basket as you carry it down the stairs. Was its partner so unbearable that it decided to commit suicide? Or did it have an awful fear of water? I’ll never know. I shove it in my pocket reminding myself it has to go into the machine later.

What about the other socks? The ones that hide in your trouser leg? Even after you shake the trousers, they stay in there. How? Do they grow tendrils? They cling on for dear life and you can only retrieve them by putting your hand in and pulling them out. Or the socks that drop to freedom from the washing line? You have clothes out to dry and it starts to rain. You run out and frantically un-peg everything while grimacing at the sky. It’s not until you get indoors and stand looking out the window at the rain that you notice a sodden lump of sockness in the grass.

I’ve tried forcibly attaching a pair of socks together using a peg. Peg a pair and throw it in the machine. Several pegs in the wash make a lot of noise. Or else that was the sound of the socks strangling each other. That’s the way they come out. If they haven’t used their unbelievable strength to remove themselves from the peg’s clutches, they are wrapped around each other so tightly that I have to assume they both died in the struggle.

It was at this point that I gave up. It made me question things about my life. Like why did my socks need to match? Why does it annoy me so to find only two socks of different coloured persuasion? What if socks really don’t like each other? Now I’m quite happy to pull on a pink sock and a blue sock, a white one and a green one, whatever is handiest. But if you’re still trying to keep your socks together, I can recommend only one thing. Put yourself in their shoes and see how it feels…

Lol! :D Inkheart, I really enjoyed reading that. You put a fresh new slant on the old "odd sock" enigma. I'm sure everyone who does washing can relate to this piece!

I liked your writing style and the anthropomorphism (is this the correct word?), with the socks having human characteristics.

This:
Firstly, my socks do match. I bought all my socks in matching pairs. The problem is that they don’t seem to like each other that much. From the moment I snipped the clear plastic holding them together it became clear. They had been held against their will. Now, with this freedom, my socks do their utmost never to be seen together again.

... is a great beginning!

A very entertaining read. :)

Inkheart, that's funny and well-written! I read it all the way through and enjoyed it, and that's saying quite a lot this morning. Good work! :)

I absolutely subscribe to your theory!! I loved the story, really, I don't read that much humor, but as was stated above, I, too read the whole thing thru and enjoyed it throughly! :D :cool:

Well written! Enjoyable read! Thanks!

I am reminded of a great event in oriental antiquity:

A student once asked his Zen master, "Is my sock half empty or half full?"

The Zen master asked, "Do your socks smell?"

The student replied, "Yes"

The Zen master said, "Then go wash your clothes!" and struck the student with his staff.

Cognitive Therapy was born.

Actually, I have parodied a Koan where the student asks something regarding Buddha nature. The Zen master asks, "Have you had breakfast?" When the student says "Yes", the Zen master says, "Then go wash your bowl!"

The real answer here, I think, based on my years of scriptural study, is that socks are an instrument of Satan. Stop and think! Did Jesus wear socks? Did the Apostles wear socks? No, of course not! And even Moses was commanded to remove his shoes at the burning bush. Now did God also tell him to remove his socks? Of course not!

It is the forces of darkness which try to turn us away from all that is holy by means of our preoccupation with socks.

Well, now that I have shared with you wisdom from Buddha and the Bible, I must close with some mathematical wisdom.

Ask your friends this riddle:

You have a very tall bureau, with the top drawers above your head, so that you may only reach into in, but may not watch what you are doing. The drawer is filled with one third red socks and two thirds blue socks. The socks have been randomly mixed by the dryer. Statistically, what is the maximum number of socks you must take from the drawer to be guaranteed a matching pair of socks.

Some people will find this quite challenging. The answer is three. You withdraw the first sock and it is either blue or red. Let us say it is blue. Now if the second sock is blue, your job is done. But, if the second sock is RED, you must draw a third sock. If the third sock is red, you have a matching pair of red socks, and you my go see Brokeback Mountain for the 30th time. If the third sock is blue, you have a matching pair of blue socks. Hence, the solution to our problem is three. Q.E.D.

Now, go and sin no more.

Sitaram, had you not gone on to explain the solution to the sock problem I would have given up on it as being far beyond the comprehension of mortals like me. I had already decided that it the solution was going to require a degree in higher mathematics by the time I had read halfway through it.

My conclusion is that I had better never get within ten feet of a Zen master.

Depending upon the length of his staff.

Back