• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Why writing screen plays is probably a waste of time.

In Hollywood, originality is anything but a virtue. Paramount rejected a recent project that had attached stars, an approved script, and a bankable director by telling the producer, "It's a terrific idea; too bad it has not been made into a movie already or we could have done the remake."

http://www.slate.com/id/2135544/

Interesting article, though I'm not sure The Island is the best example to give of originality not being rewarded. As the piece itself states, the movie was sold as an chases-and-things-exploding actioner (which probably wasn't far from the reality), 'from the people who brought you Pearl Harbor,' starring two highly familiar faces who are appealing to young moviegoers. So it was hardly seeking to carve an entirely new niche for itself.

I love the way the piece damns The Island with faint praise by calling the acting, story and direction 'acceptable for a summer movie.' Funny how my cinematic tastes don't seem to change with the seasons, nor with the cycles of the moon for that matter. Interestingly, the premise behind The Island is the same as that behind (spoiler warning for anyone planning to join March's book group) Kazuo Ishiguro's novel Never Let Me Go. However Ishiguro treated the subject as a subtle and affecting metaphor for the frustration of our limited lifespan, whereas Michael Bay in The Island treated it as a breathless escape epic. Is it because of this that Ishiguro's novel has outperformed all expectations, selling 100,000 copies in the UK in hardback, whereas The Island tanked? Probably not, but it's nice to see success for something that doesn't insult the consumer's intelligence.

Shade If you have not already, check out the thesis link for Lolita that SFG posted, and Peder replied to and re-linked, in it they talk about Nabokov's screenplay for Lolita, and butchering job Kubrick did on it. All the creativity that VN poured into it....wasted. And there evidently is not even a surviving copy of the original screenplay. VN had added some bits to Lolita. Now that would be really worth reading! :)

Back