• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Wicked-- book gone musical

terribletoria

Anyone heard about the musical Wicked, based on the book Wicked: Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West? I just recently heard the music and I totally love it. I read the book and obviously, that was amazing, too. Gregory Maguire tells the other side of Oz story really well, and it translates into music quite nicely.

Ooo! I saw that book at Chapters a few weeks ago and really want to read it. What age group is it aimed at?

Wicked is definately not a book for children. It is an adult story with adult actions and themes. But I would think a "young adult" could handle it fine.

I've heard the musical is outstanding. I've been meaning to go see it, but good tickets on Broadway are a small fortune.

abecedarian said:
Wicked is definately not a book for children. It is an adult story with adult actions and themes.
That's what it looked like when I picked it up, if only based upon the cover and the location in which I found it.

Has anyone read it and care to put a synopsis/small review up?

I read it and loved it.

It's based on the life of Elphaba, who becomes the Wicked Witch of the West. Things aren't as black and white in Oz as L. Frank Baum would have us think. The good may not be as good as they appear to be, and the wicked may be more misunderstood than we could ever imagine.

I don't want to give away more than that - it would be a crime to try to capture the fullness of Maguire's Oz.

I have the soundtrack for the musical, and it's one of my favourite CDs. I wish I could afford to see the play, but alas, I can't.

It's the story of the wicked witch of the west beofre dorothy. It explains a lot of the elements from The Wizard of Oz (like the lion, the scarecrow, the slippers, the tin man) in ways that you wouldn't have expected.
My wifey bought we tickets to the musical in Toronto for my 21st birthday and it was the BEST musical I have ever seen. I'm actually re-reading the book right now, it kept me company on the long nights when caroline was in the hospital a few weeks ago. I should actually finish it today while I'm home sick. (yes again, nothing has been going right the last few months)
Anyway, back on track, it's a great book, the soundtrack is BEAUTIFUL, and the musical is freaking amazing.

Back