• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Widening my taste in books

'American Pastoral,' 'The Ghost Writer,' 'Portnoy's Complaint,' 'The Anatomy Lesson,' 'Zuckerman Unbound,' 'I Married a Communist,' 'The Human Stain,' and 'The Prague Orgy' by Philip Roth
Holy crap, someone who loves Philip Roth as much as I do... I've read Goodbye, Columbus; Portnoy's Complaint, The Ghost Writer, The Counterlife (my personal favorite), The Facts, Operation Shylock, Sabbath's Theater, American Pastoral, The Human Stain, and The Plot Against America -- and would recommend all readily. The more you read Roth, the more his works fit uncomfortably together. For example, Philip Roth appears with one character in Operation Shylock (labeled on its cover a nonfiction work), who appears in Sabbath's Theater with another character who reappears briefly in The Human Stain, which of course is narrated by Nathan Zuckerman, often thought to be the alter ego of Philip Roth. Lines between fiction and fact are thoughtfully blurred, and that's just the starting point.

I've also read The Breast, which is a short read that fits in nicely with later themes in his work, and Our Gang, a satire against Tricky Dick that probably remains an unnecessary read despite some fun swipes at politics (especially conservative ones) and the media.

Back