• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Wilderness - Kid Surviving on his own

IngenuousCA

Ok, I recall reading a book when I was younger, about a kid(not sure if he was a child, or teenager) that leaves home and sets out to the "Woods" where he lives by himself. .

I remember him living in the trunk of a tree. . . .

He may have been living on the side of a mountain. . . .

This is killing me not being able to remember, i'd like to re-vist the story and read the book again, even if it's a child's book!

Any help would really be appreciated!!

Thanks!!

It is called My Side of the Mountain by Jean George.

Here is the description from Amazon:

Every kid thinks about running away at one point or another; few get farther than the end of the block. Young Sam Gribley gets to the end of the block and keeps going--all the way to the Catskill Mountains of upstate New York. There he sets up house in a huge hollowed-out tree, with a falcon and a weasel for companions and his wits as his tool for survival. In a spellbinding, touching, funny account, Sam learns to live off the land, and grows up a little in the process. Blizzards, hunters, loneliness, and fear all battle to drive Sam back to city life. But his desire for freedom, independence, and adventure is stronger. No reader will be immune to the compulsion to go right out and start whittling fishhooks and befriending raccoons.

Back