• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Will Self

Skycat

Anyone read any of his stuff.

I read Dorian, The Quantum Theory of Insanity and Cock and Bull. I was rather disappointed with Dorian. It didn't seem to have the eccentricities of the other two, and I was getting rather bored with it towards the end. Some of the stories in TQTOI are just great, so bizarre and fantastic. Cock and Bull is rather difficult to read on a commuter train. A guy I work with picked it up, read a couple of pages and looked like he was going to be sick. I think he saw me in a different light after that.

I've got Great Apes and How The Dead Live, but haven't started those yet. Anyone here read either of these novels?

yep i've read quantity theory and great apes. I recall that great apes was a good read, reminded me of brave new world. Though if you haven't read Brave new world (aldous Huxley) i'd recommend that above great apes, however an unread book on the shelf is worth two in the bookstore (actually it might be the other way round, be still my unsatiated book lust.)

ksky

Today, in my world, it's revive-an-old-thread day. This is probably due to them upping my medication.

I've read most of Self's books. When Dorian came out, I read the 'original' before reading Self's imitation. Much prefered the original...but the imitation was enjoyably skanky in places.
How the Dead Live could have been a great deal shorter. In fact I recall going into skip mode several times.
I have yet to read Mukti. It's in my TBRP. TQTOI is, indeed, a good one. I see that some of the stories are now coming out in little novellas.
Anyone read his stuff, or am I posting into a deep, dark void of nothing?

Will Self, yay! I recommend Great Apes--but you should know that I liked Dorian, though I thought it (Dorian) sort of fell apart near the end.

Minniemal said:
Will Self, yay! I recommend Great Apes--but you should know that I liked Dorian, though I thought it (Dorian) sort of fell apart near the end.

Aha! A voice in the wilderness!

Great Apes. yes, that was ok. Not sure I agree on your Dorian comment, but it was a while ago that I read it. I still haven't read Mukti yet.

Being a big fan of Will Self, I did attempt to read Cock and Bull. I didn't even complete the first two pages!

He is not an entertaining writer. I don't know if he has uncovered any great truths or discovered the meaning of how to cope with life, but unless he starts to write in way which will encourage people to read his work, he may as well give up.

A thesaurus is more fun to read, and uses less obscure words.

I've read Great Apes and enjoyed it (although I found it quite difficult to get into), but have not, as yet, got around to reading any more of his work.

I know what jaybe means about his vocabulary, but I don't think he uses words for effect (well, not the sort of 'look at what big words I can use effect).

I've read Great Apes and enjoyed it (although I found it quite difficult to get into), but have not, as yet, got around to reading any more of his work.

I know what jaybe means about his vocabulary, but I don't think he uses words for effect (well, not the sort of 'look at what big words I can use effect).

Sybarite,...eh...it's not the size of a man's vocabulary that counts. It's that his woman be speechless

... It's that his woman be speechless

Well, administering a good flogging takes concentration. Whilst women are acknowledged to be expert at multi-tasking, expecting me to wield a whip and engage in conversation at the same time is going too far.

Well, administering a good flogging takes concentration. Whilst women are acknowledged to be expert at multi-tasking, expecting me to wield a whip and engage in conversation at the same time is going too far.

I never meant to go to far....the distance suffices

His writing style is quite unique AND interesting, which is rare to find such a combination in this age. Of course, the content isn't always as interesting as his style, it is still worth the read.

Currently, I'm reading Book of Dave and Great Apes. BoD is tough to read since Self forces you to get used to the language he invented, but after you get used to it (or just ignore it and concentrate on what you think is most important) it's a good read.

I'm not that far into Great Apes, however. It's quite boring and lacks any sort of voice to which I can attach.

I read a user review on The Book of Dave, and thought it sounded very interesting. I haven't read any of Will Self, but I hope to get around to picking up that one.

Martin Amis' influence on Self is too apparent in his work for me to enjoy it - I'd rather read the real thing.

Back