• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

William Faulkner: As I Lay Dying

Hullo Veggie,
I've given up on the languages thing because I don't know any more.

Hee hee hee, I wondered when you'd run out...:D

Right...the cow is burdened with her milk and wants to be rid of it (she is waiting to be milked by Dewey Dell or Vardy) just as Dewey Dell is burdened by her pregnancy and wants to be rid of it?

Yep, the burden thing again.

So I would say that the character that added the least to the basic storyline was Dewey Dell. Her purpose seemed to be to add dysfunction. I can't think of any other way in which she was useful.
I think Dewey Dell was quite vital to some of the themes. Her situation is the perfect example of a typical 'white trash' life for a girl her age. Her character plays a big part in the social dysfunction, role of females & even the religious aspects.

Back to religious thing, I don't know if Faulkner intended to show religion in a negative light, or if that was just Cora's character. I'll look up whether or not Faulkner was devoutly religious person, or if he openly spat on it, and so on. What did you think about it?

Okay, let me know what you discover. I found the religious aspect very interesting, on the one hand I was thinking that Faulkner is saying that a Religion is basically choosing a few bits and pieces that sound good and bringing them together - (let me know if i'm not explaining this clearly enough).
But then on the other hand I was thinking, he actually means that its is people who pick and choose what they like in a religion and ignore the rest - and in fact most of the time misinterpret what the religion is saying. So i'm a little confused. It may be an idea for me to go through the book and highlight the bits where religion is actually mentioned etc, and see if that then helps clarify - but that sounds like too much hard work.:D

How are you enjoying your days away from school?

Hello Gem,

Gem said:
I think Dewey Dell was quite vital to some of the themes. Her situation is the perfect example of a typical 'white trash' life for a girl her age. Her character plays a big part in the social dysfunction, role of females & even the religious aspects.

While Dewey Dell was instrumental in women's roles and such, I felt that her themes didn't quite mesh very clearly or easily with the central themes. She also was annoying, in my opinion, so that is why I decided that I could do without her, if I had to choose the least important Bundren. Who did you think it was that was least important?

Okay, let me know what you discover. I found the religious aspect very interesting, on the one hand I was thinking that Faulkner is saying that a Religion is basically choosing a few bits and pieces that sound good and bringing them together - (let me know if i'm not explaining this clearly enough).
But then on the other hand I was thinking, he actually means that its is people who pick and choose what they like in a religion and ignore the rest - and in fact most of the time misinterpret what the religion is saying. So i'm a little confused. It may be an idea for me to go through the book and highlight the bits where religion is actually mentioned etc, and see if that then helps clarify - but that sounds like too much hard work.:D

^ That is too much work. :p

Well, apparently Faulkner was a Presbyterian. As I Lay Dying supposedly has much less to do with religious issues than, say, Absalom, Absalom! which my aunt has recently bought me a copy of and now expects me to read :eek: which for me looms at the top of The Faulkner Tower of Doom. Faulkner was quoted saying that organized religion has failed "to come to terms with human nature," and he is quite obsessive about this human nature theme, if you have read a few of his essays. "Faulkner's upbringing 'in a period of decline, family and sectional,' left him more aware of history than of God and thus made him a determinist, but he 'gives an extraordinary human sympathy to everything.'" So he wasn't deeply religious or anything. Almost everyone in the South experienced some form of religion, but Faulkner was a fan of the traditional, reserved, sit-quietly-in-church-every-Sunday-or-thou-shalt-go-to-hell type of religion. More like the passionate, musical folk religion and African-American interpretations of Christianity.

How are you enjoying your days away from school?

Too well. :D :p

Veggiedog

Hello Veggie,
While Dewey Dell was instrumental in women's roles and such, I felt that her themes didn't quite mesh very clearly or easily with the central themes. She also was annoying, in my opinion, so that is why I decided that I could do without her, if I had to choose the least important Bundren. Who did you think it was that was least important?

Yes that does make sense, but i'm going to say...Vardaman was the least important out of the Bundrens (I don't really think that but i'm in a contrary mood). Let the fireworks begin.:D
I don't know why Vardaman yet, but since you'll ask me, I'm guessing I better go make something up.

That is too much work.
Yes it is, which is why I haven't done it.:D

As um enticing as those Faulkner essays sound, I think i'll give them a miss.;) though I suppose I will one day get around to reading Absolam Absolam!. AILD may have less to do with religion than his other works, but IMO religion does have a strong presence in it - original sin, the idea of death, morals, reincarnation etc.

Too well.

I hope that means you're reading and not veggieing out in front of the tv.:D

Hi Gem,

I am going to keep this post short because I feel lazy and we are leaving for Windsor in about a half-hour.

Gem said:
Yes that does make sense, but i'm going to say...Vardaman was the least important out of the Bundrens (I don't really think that but i'm in a contrary mood). Let the fireworks begin.:D
I don't know why Vardaman yet, but since you'll ask me, I'm guessing I better go make something up.

I'm waiting ;)

As um enticing as those Faulkner essays sound, I think i'll give them a miss.;) though I suppose I will one day get around to reading Absolam Absolam!. AILD may have less to do with religion than his other works, but IMO religion does have a strong presence in it - original sin, the idea of death, morals, reincarnation etc.

So what do you think it means?

I hope that means you're reading and not veggieing out in front of the tv.:D

I've been reading...kind of...a little...
I don't feel very motivated because the summer reading program at our library doesn't have very good prizes :rolleyes:

I've actually been spending a lot of time researching colleges, careers, and scholarships, since that will all be the next stage of my life. I like U Mich (in-state), Harvard (WAY better than Princeton ;) ), and UC-Berkeley especially. I think U-M will be my safety school, UCB my "good-fit", and Harvard my reach school.

My mom is forcing me to improve my nonexistent math skills for two hours a day by making me practice out of one of those SAT Math subject test prep books. :mad:
My Internet has been really screwed up as of late, so I've been having to bike to the library every other day, which is six miles away, to use it :mad: .

On the bright side, I went to a friend's house and we went through a whole stack of horror and sci-fi movies. We were about to move on to Bollywood :)rolleyes: ) but I got sick after so much popcorn, candy, and pop so I had to go home :( . I don't understand Hindi very well anyway. Gujrati takes enough effort for a lazy veggie like me...

As for the TV, I've been addicted to the History Channel, Court TV, National Geographic, Animal Planet, and the Discovery Channel. So much for veggieing out ;)
<<evil laugh>>

Veggiedog

Hello Veggie,
How was your bike journey to the library today? I hope you're not too tired.:D
I've actually been spending a lot of time researching colleges, careers, and scholarships, since that will all be the next stage of my life. I like U Mich (in-state), Harvard (WAY better than Princeton ), and UC-Berkeley especially. I think U-M will be my safety school, UCB my "good-fit", and Harvard my reach school.
You're scarily smart.
What have you decided subject/career wise?

I don't feel very motivated because the summer reading program at our library doesn't have very good prizes
Reading is the prize.:p
My mom is forcing me to improve my nonexistent math skills for two hours a day by making me practice out of one of those SAT Math subject test prep books.
You'll appreciate it later in life. People with good maths skills find it that much easier to take on most other subjects. (See even I can sound mature every now and then:D )
On the bright side, I went to a friend's house and we went through a whole stack of horror and sci-fi movies. We were about to move on to Bollywood ( ) but I got sick after so much popcorn, candy, and pop so I had to go home . I don't understand Hindi very well anyway. Gujrati takes enough effort for a lazy veggie like me...
:D Nothing like a bit of Bollywood to completely render the mind unuseable. Great fun though.:D
As for the TV, I've been addicted to the History Channel, Court TV, National Geographic, Animal Planet, and the Discovery Channel. So much for veggieing out
I'm relieved, you had me worried there for a while.

Finally, back to AILD.
Vardaman. There are only two things that I remember Vardaman contributing to the story. The infamous 'My Mother is A fish' chapter and the whole drilling holes into the coffin scene. I haven't yet given any time to understanding/interpreting these two things.
What else does Vardaman contribute? Pretty much nothing. Perhaps he reinforces the 'mental illness in the family' thoughts that we had, but we would have just as easily reached those conclusions without Vardamans presence. He does not play a serious part in the Darl/Jewel storyline and neither can we count on his narrative to provide a substantial/objective viewpoint.
I can't think of anything else at the moment so I'll stop here for now and let you defend him.:D

Hello Gem,

Gem said:
How was your bike journey to the library today? I hope you're not too tired.:D

At least I've built up some really good leg muscle.

You're scarily smart.

Is that you being sarcastic? :p

What have you decided subject/career wise?

I really don't know yet. My parents are pushing me towards medicine :)rolleyes: of course) since engineering and business are out of the question (ick to math and econ). But I'm more of the history/government type (my best subject), so I've been considering occupations such as lawyer or professor. Several of people have told me that I should be a politician...but no--apparently I'm too academic for the average American nincumpoop's mind. I suppose being a doctor wouldn't be so bad; I'm good at bio and chem (phys could use some work). At this point, I am open to anything outside of the realm of yucky Trig and Calc. Journalism also sounds interesting, but unfortunately I have been barred from the school newspaper since I am a lowly freshman.

Reading is the prize.:p

I was referring to moolah. ;)
Sometimes they give us gift certificates to book stores, Amazon.com, etc. This year they have plastic reptilians and old Halloween candy :( . Oh well, right now I have just cracked the spine of a giant volume of fairytales which I will proceed to read to seniors at a retirement home as part of my volunteer job. Interestingly, a friend of mine will be borrowing the same book to read to children at a day care center.

You'll appreciate it later in life. People with good maths skills find it that much easier to take on most other subjects.

I know, I know. To tell the truth, <<whisper>> I actually love some aspects of math, i.e. conic sections, functions, and factoring--I even factor problems in my head for fun, I am that much of a nerd <<end whisper>> but the way my parents, especially my mom, push me into it frustrates me and causes me to resent the subject in general. They don't care about my history grades. They don't care about my Spanish grades. Well, they do expect A's. But all they look at is math and science. And my school requires four credits of math to graduate (only three for social studies, science, English, and none for foreign language) which means I'll be forced to take AP Calc I & II and AP Prob & Stat to graduate, because I was put into an accelerated/gifted program! GAH!

(See even I can sound mature every now and then:D )

Well, we all learn something new every day ;)

:D Nothing like a bit of Bollywood to completely render the mind unuseable. Great fun though.:D

Mostly I poke fun at how ridiculous they are. Every time someone seems about to do something remotely 'dirty' they burst in a chorus with miraculously synchronized dancing and bright costumes. Also, coincidentally, all of the backup dancers just happen to be wearing the exact same outfits. Bollywood films are best watched after unscrewing your head and removing your brain. The funny thing is, when my classmates tease me about Indian culture (worshipping cows, etc.) I always defend it. When my parents complain about America and how stupid the people are, I always defend it. I truly love both cultures, for the most part. Did you see the Time magazine article from last week on India?

I'm relieved, you had me worried there for a while.

My favorite show is Forensic Files on Court TV. I take notes, just in case I ever want to be a forensic investigator. Or a murderer. Joking, joking. No need to worry.

Vardaman. There are only two things that I remember Vardaman contributing to the story. The infamous 'My Mother is A fish' chapter and the whole drilling holes into the coffin scene. I haven't yet given any time to understanding/interpreting these two things[...]
I can't think of anything else at the moment so I'll stop here for now and let you defend him.:D

Okay, if you insist. What you say makes sense. A lot of my classmates found Vardaman to be a completely useless, unreliable character. Of course, you have conceded that he has some purpose, as do all of the characters. The reason I decided that Vardaman had moderate importance was because of his role in the identity/existence theme. He and Darl both played important roles in this as they pondered Addie's death. Darl's conclusion was that as Addie was dead, she no longer existed. Vardy's conclusion was that as Addie was dead, her existence had been transferred. I'll attempt to go into deeper meaning in the next post...although I'm not 100 percent sure I'm correct in my assumptions. Another important thing about Vardy was that he provided a more innocent, child-like view of Addie's death. Clearly, he did not understand she was dead as in no longer alive, hence the drilling of the holes. He had been told that when animals on the farm died such as rabbits and possums, they went off to some far of place to live happily. Vardaman wondered if Addie had gone there as well. Theories such as this have always led me to believe that 'Heaven' is a made up place to convince people that their lost loved ones are happy, and that they will someday be reunited in death...but I won't get into a religious discussion here. This entire interpretation can also be attributed to Anse and Addie's unfortunate parenting skills. No one ever took Vardy aside and asked him how he was coping w/ the illness/death. No one explained properly what had happened to Addie and that she was gone forever.

Of course, choosing something like the most or least important character is entirely subjective. Certain characters strike certain chords with certain people. Different people like and understand different characters are opposed to others. Your argument for Dewey Dell's importance makes sense. Her position was probably more enlightening/interesting/important to you than it was to me.

Another question:
Why do you think the family reacted so violently to Addie's death, but didn't bat an eye at Darl's arrest?

The internet guy should be here tomorrow to fix the computer, so hopefully it'll be working again within the next couple of day and I won't have to work my butt off bicycling to the library all the time.

Veggiedog

Hi Gem,

I'm going on vacation tomorrow to northern Michigan--"up north" as we Michiganders like to call it--and should be back next Friday.

Veggiedog

I'm back, heh heh heh.

We got in late last night, ~ 1 o'clock or so a.m. so I waited until today to post...My family and I did a tour of the Great Lakes (all but Ontario, but I've seen enough of that one). It was a lot of hiking and biking--absolutely exhausting. But at least our Internet is working now; I was getting sick of the library, a feat which I had once thought impossible.

So, what's up besides the sky, ceiling, clouds, and celestial bodies?

Veggiedog

Veggiedog!

Welcome back. It was so peaceful..er i mean quiet around here :D Nah just kidding, glad you're back, sounds like you had a good time.
As for whats up, well you sure missed some interesting things, we had catfights, mud wrestling and er picnics..uh hum yes all manner of er fun things.:rolleyes: :D

Hi Gem!

Sorry I've been out so long (you know why) but here I am! So what's been happening? I just spent almost two weeks in the hospital eating ice cream and jello and drinking pop, and playing video games and Chinese checkers with little kids. Don't worry, I let them win, as my skill easily surpassed theirs ;) .

Veggiedog.

Veggie,
sorry I've been out so long (you know why) but here I am!
Like I said, I'm glad you're feeling better now.:)

So what's been happening? I just spent almost two weeks in the hospital eating ice cream and jello and drinking pop, and playing video games and Chinese checkers with little kids. Don't worry, I let them win, as my skill easily surpassed theirs .
This sounds more like a holiday than a hospital stay....And I'll take your word for it on the Chinese checkers - of course you let them win ;).
As for whats been happening here, nothing much just some more of the mudfights and picnics ;) :D

Are you reading the Willa Cather book or something else now?

Hola Gem,

Gem said:
Like I said, I'm glad you're feeling better now.:)

I appreciate it.

This sounds more like a holiday than a hospital stay....

Hey! The nurses forced the jello on me, okay? I was only obeying orders. Hmph!

And I'll take your word for it on the Chinese checkers - of course you let them win ;).

I know. I am a very noble an chivalrous person.

Are you reading the Willa Cather book or something else now?

Whoops! I forgot to change it. I will do that right now...

Veggie

Back