• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

William Gibson: Distrust That Particular Flavor

sparkchaser

Administrator and Stuntman
Staff member
Distrust That Particular Flavor, a collection of essays comes out Jan 3, 2012.

William Gibson is known primarily as a novelist, with his work ranging from his groundbreaking first novel, Neuromancer, to his more recent contemporary bestsellers Pattern Recognition, Spook Country, and Zero History. During those nearly thirty years, though, Gibson has been sought out by widely varying publications for his insights into contemporary culture. Wired magazine sent him to Singapore to report on one of the world's most buttoned-up states. The New York Times Magazine asked him to describe what was wrong with the Internet. Rolling Stone published his essay on the ways our lives are all "soundtracked" by the music and the culture around us. And in a speech at the 2010 Book Expo, he memorably described the interactive relationship between writer and reader.

These essays and articles have never been collected-until now. Some have never appeared in print at all. In addition, Distrust That Particular Flavor includes journalism from small publishers, online sources, and magazines no longer in existence. This volume will be essential reading for any lover of William Gibson's novels. Distrust That Particular Flavor offers readers a privileged view into the mind of a writer whose thinking has shaped not only a generation of writers but our entire culture.

Yoink! Preordered.

Thanks for the info! As a crazy old Gibson fan (the man pretty much invented my fav genre, cyberpunk) I just have to get that one :)

If you would post things like that as paid amazon links on a special page you could make good money off of that for this site. I'd totally click my way to the book through there because it won't cost me anything extra :)

I lost my copy of Neuromancer and Pattern Recognition (first edition!) and have not gotten around to replacing them. :sad:

I finished reading this the other day. That review pretty much hits the nail on the head.

People always say that Cyberpunk is about the '80s and several pieces in Distrust That Particular Flavor show that Gibson wants to really drive that point home. Among my favorite works in there are his piece about why Japan is always living in the near future and his piece about going onto the world wide web and discovering eBay and a short-lived obsession with watches. There are a few articles that didn't particularly resonate with me but at the same time, I won't deny that it was not excellent writing. As an added bonus, I was made aware of Phantom Shanghai and now I must own this book.

I never connected the dots until reading Distrust That Particular Flavor, but it blew my mind to see that Pattern Recognition came out before the debut of YouTube (2003 versus 2005). That man is eerily prescient.

Beer good, buy it. Meow.

Back