• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Windows error problem

Ms.

I transferred 40gb of files to my pc, my problem is the largest sub folder which if I open gives me a windows error. How do I fix it?

error.jpg

A file in a FAT file system (default type) cannot be larger than 2 Gb, but I'm not sure what happens if you try to copy one from another device. To hold larger files requires re-formatting a disk as an NTFS file system (which deletes all the existing files). If the problem is in a single folder, try copying the files from this folder on your other device into separate folders on your PC. This might show which file has the problem.

Hmm... what error exactly? Does your 40GB comprise of many small files, or a few huge ones?

Windows will start complaining if there are more than 20,000 files in a single directory. You will not be able to properly browse your folder if that's the case, unless you go to the Command Prompt and start deleting them down to a more Windows-friendly number of files.

Hope you still have your 40GB of files, in case something did go wrong.

ds

Sounds like some of the files might be damaged, or the folder itself. Do you still have tile files where you transferred them from? If so I'd say you should delete the erroneous folder and try and transfer them again in smaller groups, mainly because the chances that something corrupts files during transfer get bigger the more files you move at once.

Back