• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Words that inspire you to write your own

Emo17

Say you're trying to write a book, story, poem, love letter, birthday note, whatever, and you get writer's block to a degree, or maybe you don't but you find yourself inspired to write anyway. And yeah you could probably read five or ten books and eventually get back in that writing zone from doing that, but you'd rather get back to writing ASAP and not have to read all of that material in order to do so.

What are some books, poems, short stories, whatever, that one could just read a few pages of and really get back in that writing zone? What are some works that have helped you before when you've lacked inspiration to write? Or when you've been unsure of your abilities (even if you do have talent)? What helps inspire you to write?

I have found that rereading the first few chapters of "Three men in a Boat" by Jerome K. Jerome has always helped me recapture the going-off-on-a-tangent and understated style that I like.

I go to my Unabridged Edgar Allan Poe and pick out one of my favorite stories, Cask of Amontillado, Mask of the Red Death, TellTale Heart, The Black Cat, Fall of the house of Usher is a big one.

His descriptive words and imagery always inspires me.

Back