• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Wordsworth books info?

james-88

There are a whole bunch of classic books i want to buy, I'm planning on just ordering them from amazon. I found this one bookstore in my town that has a whole bunch of the books i want, but they books are wordsworth, i believe it's something like that, and they are really cheap. I looked through them and they all are perfectly fine books, but i wondering if these books are just as good as, say, bantam classics or penguin books or signet classics. Are they not as good translations or anything. Does anyone have any info.

It's either wordsworth or worsworth or something along those lines. I think there might actually be both wordsworth and worsworth books, but i dont remember what exactly the books are at the book store in my city.

I have quite a few of the Wordsworth Classics in my collection, all with images on the cover and blue spines and costing about £1 each. They tend to have an Introduction to the author/story and some suggestions for further reading. I prefer these over the Penguin Classics, as Penguin usually include 'Notes' - that is they number certain things on pages that the reader may not understand and then give a description in the back. This is great for some people, especially students, but I prefer to look up information myself if I am not sure of the word and, in most cases, the context they are in proves sufficient information.

If you are just wanting to gain a wider knowledge of the Classics by reading them, or you want to 'test the waters' and see which classic authors you might like, then the Wordsworth ones are more than adequate.
I still buy them purely to read on the tube and they are so cheap it doesn't matter how tattered they get. The ones I like by authors I've never tried before then get replaced in a nice hardback Everyman's Library edition.

Which ones were you thinking of getting first?

Mxx

Back