• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

World Rhino Day

Meadow337

Former Moderator
22 September is WORLD RHINO DAY.

Find an event near you, or online and help save the Rhino:

http://www.worldrhinoday.org/

So far this year 668 rhino have been killed in South Africa, equaling 2012's total for the year. There are only approximately 30 000 rhino left.

zoos are only part of the solution. Only so many animals can be kept in zoos and many species won't breed in zoos. So there is a problem with genetic diversity and getting them to reproduce.

I agree but from my perspective being in my forties, collectively over the years all the conservation programmes are swimming against the tide.

The Rhino has a price on it's head or to be more precise it's horn, this isn't going to change any time soon.

Zoos aren't perfect but at least they're practical.

So... I'm aware of conservation programmes from the mid-seventies.

I think there are successes and obviously some failures. I think that there has been an evolution in thinking about conservation and the debate between conservation (game parks) and preservation (zoos and other enclosed spaces) has taken a lot of focus off the important job of actually DOING something and finding something that works.

Too much talking and too little doing. For those people on the frontlines of conservation there are a lot of success stories. A lot of battles won, but in another sense the war is being lost because of a lot of lack of agreement on how to tackle the problem, problems with working internationally and so on.

Are we talking about the organised crime lords who are the middle men on the poaching or the largely impoverished disenfranchised unemployed guy who is paid peanuts to go kill a rhino on his 'traditional' hunting ground and doesn't have a clue why this might not be a good idea?

Are we talking about the organised crime lords who are the middle men on the poaching or the largely impoverished disenfranchised unemployed guy who is paid peanuts to go kill a rhino on his 'traditional' hunting ground and doesn't have a clue why this might not be a good idea?

If the net result is dead rhinos why split hairs.

hmm because the poacher doing the killing usually ends up dead or in jail while the other guy gets away with it because he sits miles away from the action and is subject to all very complex and deep waters of international jurisprudence. So there is a difference in how to handle the two. The one is solved through education and employment while the other needs better and stronger international law enforcement with fewer loopholes.

So while you're waiting on international law being overhauled and these countries becoming thriving economies with proper state education... what are you going to do?

Um ....continue to donate and help create awareness where I can :) every bit helps. many drops of water add up to an ocean :)

Back