• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

World War 2 books

mchizz

Hey guys, i have read Stephen Ambrose's D-Day and Band of brothers and have absolutely loved them. I really enjoyed reading about the real events of ww2 and they are so in depth. Ambrose has really worked hard to get his book really accurate.

Anyway, i was hoping someone could help me and point me in the direction of any other non-fiction ww2 books? I love the fact that these i have read are true and have accounts of real combat. I would also love to read a book of similar content but from a german perspective or about the war inthe pacific.

Any advice would be much appreciated, cheers

Three excellent WW2 books i've read recently are:

Fighter Pilot - Paul Richey DFC (the definitive air combat book)

Finest Hour - Tim Clayton & Phil Graig (tells the story of the first year of WW2 throught he eyes of pilots,soldiers,secretaries,nurses etc using interviews, diaries, letters and memoirs.)

Das Boot (The Boat) - Lothar Gunther Buchheim (Story of a German u-Boat in the North Atlantic)

Try Between Silk and Cyanide by Leo Marks. Wonderfully written account of his time spent in the London code making and breaking office. Fascinating stuff.

Not sure if you're interested in the Holocaust, but Hitler's Willing Executioners by Daniel Goldhagen is enlightening.

Also, Hiroshima by John Hersey is heart-breaking and engrossing re the dropping of the atomic bomb on Japan.

Enjoy :)

Read An Army At Dawn by Rick Atkinson. Its a great book about the Americans fighting in North africa from when they did a d-day style landing until the africa a corps was destroyed. Great Read!

Victor Resun-Suvorov all his books about WW2.
In past russian spy, now writer live in England, so his works can be found.
His works in russian you can find hear ... ups it will be a link, so only PM ;)

Back in the 60's or 70's Ballantine Books put out a whole series of books about WWII in all theatres and branches. I particularly remember the one about the Allied push to take Rome which stalled at Monte Cassino.
Escape from Colditz by P.R. Reid is a wonderful account of the indominable resourcefulness of Allied P.O.W.s.
If you're interested in the Manhattan Project - the American program which produced the atomic bomb - Richard Rhodes' The Making of the Atomic Bomb is probably the definitive popular history the program.

Hi All
came across the above book on Amazon. I love WW2 books and am writing a report on it for my English class. I just finished it last night and it was a very sad read! I am also trying to find some more good WW2 authors if anyone knows any
51X1x4ng1XL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

If you are looking for non-fiction ww2 books, I can recommend anything by Stephen Ambrose. I have read most of his ww2 stuff and loved it. If you want ww2 period fiction, let me take a look at some if my books when I get home. I have read a fee of those too.

I have read quite a few WW II books recently.

One classic about ordinary men in combat is certainly Norman Mailer's "The Naked and the Dead", a close-up portrait of an infantry platoon fighting in a Philippine island.

On a totally different note, I liked "Letters from Home" by Kristina McMorris. It looks a bit like a run-of-the-mill wartime romance, but I thought it was more than that, including some rather harrowing battlefield scenes from the Battle of the Bulge.

Among this year's best reads was Connie Willis's two-part time-travel saga "Blackout" and "All Clear". It tells the story of three scientists who travel back into WW 2 London from the year 2060. Very vivid storytelling with lots of details from the "Blitz" and ensuing events.

Herman Wouk's "The Winds of War" and "War and Remembrance" tells the story of a high-ranking US Navy officer and his family before, during and after the war, great stuff.

And I'll second NateG's recommendation of Ambrose, I thoroughly loved his "Band of Brothers" about the paratroopers of the legendary Easy Company. The memoirs of some of the men are also worth reading. I particularly liked Bill Guarnere and Edward Heffron's "Brothers in Battle, Best of Friends". I guess I never devoured a memoir as quickly as this one, by turns crying and laughing and holding my breath with shock.

Back