• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Worst book/s you have ever read?

Tokis86

By whatever standards you judge a book to be bad, what are the worst book/s you have ever read?

(My vote would definitely have to go t0 "Confessions of a shopaholic" by Sophie Kinsella. I was expecting a fun read but what i was met with was poorly written drivel (in a print so large you would have thought that it was written for children) of the sort you hear when you are a child and your mother stops to talk & gossip with the local women in the village. I found the book so uninteresting (and the protagonist such a boring character) that i never even got a third way through the book before giving up on it.)

Scarlett by Alexandra Ripley
someone had the bright idea Gone With the Wind needed a sequel. It didn't

^ Ooo that book sounds like an automatic fail '_' (IMO it is near sacrilege to go messing with classics like that).

There are many history books that I have tried to read but....
It seems that for awhile it was a trend for 'historians" to use 20th /21st century values , outlooks and judgements on people and events in the past.
This I think , is unfair as many of the folks being judged or held to modern value are no longer alive to defend themselves or speak for themselves.

To be fair , there may be just as many "history" books , where the historian has "fallen in love" with their subject and can not look objectively at the person or event.

Both types of writing / research do history a disservice .
Andy

For me, the last few Dan Brown books (Origin, Inferno, The Lost Symbol) are among the worst pieces of horse crap I've ever read. Not that he is particularly good, but these turkeys are little more than junk science and glorified powerpoint presentations. But they're kinda like Doritos--they'e really, really bad, but they're also stupidly irresistible....

I once read the first chapter of the first Fifty Shades, it was terrible. That woman can't string a proper sentence together to save her life! I gave up after that one chapter, nearly tripping over all the phallic references in just the first few introductory pages. I always thought that the first couple of pages were meant to draw you into a book and entice you to continue reading at the very least or possible buy said book.

Anyway, I put it down and never went back to it. Yuck.

O and a less popular one to dislike (I think?), Philip K. Dick, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. I've tried reading it several times but never managed to get all the way through it. After a while it tends to make me want to throw it at a wall.

I once read the first chapter of the first Fifty Shades, it was terrible. That woman can't string a proper sentence together to save her life! I gave up after that one chapter, nearly tripping over all the phallic references in just the first few introductory pages. I always thought that the first couple of pages were meant to draw you into a book and entice you to continue reading at the very least or possible buy said book.

Anyway, I put it down and never went back to it. Yuck.

O and a less popular one to dislike (I think?), Philip K. Dick, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. I've tried reading it several times but never managed to get all the way through it. After a while it tends to make me want to throw it at a wall.
50 Shades was horrible, agreed. I did finish it, because I wanted to *understand* (and thought there would be a pay off). Nope.

The worst book I've ever read is Divergent, by Veronica Roth. It was worst than the bad books I couldn't finish, because I did finish this one, so it gets points dinked because I was duped to finish a bad book. :)

I read 1 book from James Patterson and I loved it than I bought another book by him and it was too gory and detailed just for adults and I couldn't read it -coz it was so scary .. I don't know but I think I'll stick to teenager horrors for now :)

I think one of the worst for me was 'Normal People' by Sally Rooney. Now, it's obviously not the worst book in existence, it's written well enough, but people truly RAVE about it as if it's some sort of masterpiece, and that's what makes me dislike it even further.
It's your run-of-the-mill contemporary fiction with your basic 'flawed people' romance thrown in (there are millions of books exactly like it). The characters are unlikeable and uninteresting, and literally nothing happens for the entirety of the novel.
I also disliked some minor odd things about it, such as small allusions to an eating disorder that is never acknowledged, therefore it just kinda gives the impression of that being 'normal', which I think is a very damaging undertone to slip into a novel.

Back