• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Would a Wizard by any other name still be as strong?

JackCrack

I am writing a short story and I need some help with names that you call someone with magical powers... There is 4 schools of magic, and 3 titles each. The titles are
1) someone who is not naturally adept.
2) someone with a natural calling to magic.
3) uses magic and is part of a fanatical Christian cult
So far I got...

One who deals with artifacts...
1) Mage
2) Wizard
3) Priest

One who controls the elements...
1) Sorceror
2) Overseer<<(anything better?)
3) >>(needs to be semi-relegious)

One who can manipulate the energies of the body and mind...
1) Shaman
2) Sage
3) Druid<<(anything better?)

One who can control or summon the animals(all animals are not from this world, but where summoned here)
1) Enchanter
2) Invoker

Any suggestions you could offer would be great :)

3) Alchemist
3) Adept

Just my opinion, Mage and Sage are too close. It could get confusing to the reader. Still working on other names.

JackCrack said:
One who can control or summon the animals(all animals are not from this world, but where summoned here)
1) Enchanter
2) Invoker
Here, I also think 1) and 2) need to be swapped. Enchanting sounds like a more natural or instinctive action than invoking, which seems forced, so it would be more fitting that an Enchanter would have the natural gift of magic.

JackCrack said:
1) Enchanter
2) Invoker

Any suggestions you could offer would be great :)
how about fiting summoner somewhere :)

Do they need to be existing professions or callings, or can we play around so long as the word invokes the meaning?

Here are a couple for animal raiser:

Feitchist (to fetch)
Animage (animal caller)

And here are some synonyms for "magician" from my handy-dandy Roget's:

thaumaturgist
conjurer
necromancer
magus
archimage
theurgist
enchanter
siren
diabolist
wizard
witch
jinni (or djinn or genie)
Comus
spellbinder
enthraller
ensorceller
incantator

Hope some of these help!

How about ...

1. Mage
2. Sorceror
3. Priest

1. Geomancer
2. Druid
3. Elemental Savant

1. Shaman
2. Abjurer
3. Cleric

1. Wizard
2. Conjurer
3. Cleric (Animal Domain)

I had trouble trying to come up with names for those which summon planar creatures. Enchanters deal with items which are already in existence, they don't actually summon things. Invokers also don't summon creatures, the wizard class which deals with this is Conjuration :)

HTH

Cajunmama, to prevent kids from ever ingesting any other dictionaries or thesauri again, here's my all time favourite dictionary program that also has the thesaurus functionality - WordWeb.

There's a shareware version as well, but the freeware works for me. I have been using it for years - really handy.

ds

Did they eat it plain or with ketchup?

Well this solves the problem of 'not enough options' :rolleyes:
Now, I got too many :p

Here has what I have decided to go with.

One who deals with artifacts...
1) Mage
2) Wizard
3) Priest

1) Sorceror
2) Elemental Savant
3) Cleric

1) Shaman
2) Adept
3) Druid

1) Enchanter
2) Animage
3) << Cut from story... If all animals were brought here by magic, then why would animals follow a cult that is trying to destroy them??

mr_michel- Thanks.
Ice - Thanks. I'm going to use Elemental Savant and Cleric
direstraits - Thanks for link, I'm going to be using it a lot.
Occilth- Thanks. I'm going to use Adept.
cajunmama - Thanks. sage and mage do sound too much alike.

Cathy C- Thank you for Animage. I also needed a name for one of the lead female roles so I named her Cathy ;)

Cathy Carrion - :D "lust interest for main character. Turns bitter when main character leaves her for true love. a secret spy for the cult. Kills the main character's familiar(An Iguana named Norman). Helps kidnap love interest... killed and eaten by swarm of Iguanas during rescue." :eek:

Hmmm... I just got that saying...
"Authors only have illiterate friends."

Cathy Carrion - "lust interest for main character. Turns bitter when main character leaves her for true love. a secret spy for the cult. Kills the main character's familiar(An Iguana named Norman). Helps kidnap love interest... killed and eaten by swarm of Iguanas during rescue."

Carrion becomes carrion. Perfect! No iguanas in my stories. Only Komodo dragons, so feel free! :D

Cathy

Crackjack, about WordWeb - no problemo. :)

You sure you don't need a name for one of your other characters? Cause I don't mind being the court jester, or street peddler or the occasional fair-skinned maiden who keeps getting her butt pinched from rowdy seamen in a local tavern. :D

ds

Weatherman

Sorry, thats the best I can do. I was going to put "CNN" for one who manipulates energies of the mind, but couldn't figure out the body angle.

I think you could write a book with all that info though, keep it up!

Back