• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Writers block!!!!!!

Mysticgamer1987

I am writing a book for my senior project, but I need to write a research paper that is seven to ten pages long (AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!) so I decided to do it on obsticles that authors go through, and I was wondering weather or not anyone had any remedies that could help me with the writers block portion of my papar.
Thx.

hey thats an easy one

basicly there are 3 kind of writers block
two of them are of psicosomatic nature, while the other its of a more phisical nature

while the asistance of a terapist its always advised (and expensive) for the block of psicosomatic nature, there are some simple tecniques to overcome those.
so let me explain each kind of block and its posible solutions

a) confidence related block...
cant remember what that one was about, let me think

know what forget it, i think im blocked now :(

:D :D :D

Mysticgamer1987 said:
I am writing a book for my senior project, but I need to write a research paper that is seven to ten pages long (AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!) so I decided to do it on obsticles that authors go through, and I was wondering weather or not anyone had any remedies that could help me with the writers block portion of my papar.
Thx.

Seven to ten?! Pfft! Try being under contract to deliver 400 pages on deadline and having a block! :eek:

Anyway, back on subject -- one of the primary obstacles that cause writer's block is writing your character into an inescapable box. The hero is exhausted, starving, out of ammo in a sealed house with 100 bad guys slowly surrounding him. Now imagine it's only page 200! :D There's just nowhere to go that won't kill the hero. But you really, REALLY like the scenes leading up to the house. :( Hmm. Being a professional author means sucking it up and either killing the hero (meaning the book is over and you won't be able to deliver the required pages to the publisher), scrap the scenes you like and try to salvage them later, or (and this is what MOST authors do, to readers' great annoyance), discover :eek: an abandoned mine with a trap door right under where the hero is standing! There's food and water in the mine and it leads right out into the sunlight and away from the bad guys. This is called "writing to pay the mortgage", rather than "writing to create a great story". Readers know the difference, but sometimes the book is due when the book is due, and the block won't go away! :rolleyes:

Cathy

(Oh, and if it's your senior project and you want a good grade -- it's "whether" instead of "weather". ;) )

Hey thx guys thats really helpful....and I knew that someone would correct me if I mad a mistake :p......Does anyone have any other tips or tricks that would be helpful. I also need some info on the chalanges of getting published and building a reputations, and a buntch of stuff like that.

Mysticgamer1987 said:
I am writing a book for my senior project, but I need to write a research paper that is seven to ten pages long (AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!)
If you are writing a research paper I would assume that you would have to refer to where you have your information from. I would say that a forum on the internet, where people are anonymous, probably isn't going to impress your teacher as a source of information.

Hay

Writer's Block

If you can get a look at a copy of Stephen King's "On Writing" he has some suggestions. (Good for that all important Bibliography reference).

1) Try to write at the same place and time daily.
2) Read
3) Talk with a co-author or writer's group about the "wrote myself into a corner ARGH!" situation.
4) Figure out what the "Point" is. Is it a romance? Is it a mystery? What are you trying to do and where are you going? A lot of times I find that I'm "blocking" when I've gotten off on a tangent and lost the main thread.

If you are writing a research paper I would assume that you would have to refer to where you have your information from. I would say that a forum on the internet, where people are anonymous, probably isn't going to impress your teacher as a source of information.

I've already cleared it with my teacher all I have to do it have the web address, name of author (my be anonymous), ect...

.....I have the genre of the book im going to write a fiction/fantasy. It will be a book about a war between heaven and hell (I know there are tons of books with that story line, but I can write one better than all the rest...LOL :rolleyes: )

Write everyday even if its not on your book. A Journal or a Blog or whatever you do is going to keep your writing machinery lubed up and ready to go. Thats probably the best way to get out of writers block--prevention.

As for the WYSIAC dilemma...all I can think of is to make it into an opportunity for greatness. :) Just put on your writing helmet and bash your head against it until it cracks.

Back